Video Selfie: Using your smart phone, create an approximately one minute video selfie of yourself that constructs your “artistic alter ego.” Choose a location that you find best expresses this constructed sense of identity: studio, campus, apartment, park, café, garden, etc. Do not write a script or edit your piece, although you can shoot more than one take, picking the best one. Be sure you are in the video, though it doesn’t need to be a traditional headshot. You can be walking, standing, working, sitting, or lying down. Consider any ambient noise, background movement, etc. to be part of the composition and the setting. The goal of the project is to spontaneously and improvisationally create a sense of an imaginary double in video form. The project asks the following questions: How can video be used to alter identity? How might video be used to conceal identity? How do the objects that surround you create a mutable identity? When the video introduction is completed, embed it in a blog post on your WordPress site, and give the post a title. Include a short text description (one or two sentences) as a “caption” for the video, that concisely or enigmatically describes who you are (or imagine yourself to be) in the video.
Project by Nasir Bin Abdul:
Project by Diana Toh:
- Setup a Vimeo account
- Shoot the video from the Camera app on your phone and upload to your Vimeo account (see the Vimeo section in Media Integration of the OSS User Manual for additional instructions)
- Give your video a name and description either from the app or on Vimeo
- Access the video in Vimeo and copy the video URL by clicking on the “Share” button
- Create a new post in WordPress and paste the URL address to the video along with a brief description (see Creating a Post in the OSS User Manual for additional instructions).
- IMPORTANT: Create a new category called “Micro-project” as we did in class and assign the category to your post
- Create a still image from your video and use as your featured image. You can enlarge your video full screen, find a frame you like, wait until the control bar disappears and then take a screenshot (Shift-Command-3). If you have difficulty with this we can review in class.
- Check the home page of the Class Site and make sure your post has appeared.
- Congratulations! We will discuss our Video Selfies next week in class.