Key Ideas that influenced my work
The first few lessons that involved lots of research influenced my final work. For the design of the costume, I was influenced by the way bees see UV colours. Initially I wanted to use some sort of UV dye but then I changed my idea to use LED light instead as it created a stronger Read more →
The objective of the collaborative project Touch was to investigate critical concepts and fundamental artistic concerns inherent in the emerging form of live networked performance in the third space, through creative dance movements, interactive wearables, smart textiles, audio-visual arts and the Critical Response Process (CRP).
This collaboration between School of Art, Design & Media at Nanyang Technological University in Singapore and the Read more →
Project Hyperessay #2: Conclusion
At the beginning, I only thought about how fun it was going to be working with my friends. It was. However it was also tiring, life-changing and overwhelming.
Touch was a complex project that integrated the concepts of wearable technology, movement and third space. We were dancing in a telematic space with Angeline Young from USA. This provided an interesting twist towards the idea of the conventional dance, whereby we did not physically feel the person we were dancing towards. I was pretty amazed how Adobe Connect could be manipulated Read more →
Completing the costume
This is a video of the electronics on the skirt. The wires were still loose so it only worked on occasion or when I touched a part of the skirt.
Minor tweaks were made after this to ensure the connection was secured. Also, a layer of hot glue was put over the wires to prevent short-circuiting and to insulate Read more →
Continuation of costume design
Testing out the boning on the mannequin with Gladys’s dress. Interestingly, the boning complements her costume rather well.
Exploring different possible designs. Black tape was first used to secure the joints together.
Final design of boning with skirt. After determining the design, I sewed the joints together to make it more sturdy and seamless.
Next, Read more →
Last week I worked on the wireless transmission of data between the costume (Arduino Lilypad Board) and the Max software on the laptop. After adopting the trial-and-error method, I managed to achieve a relatively smoother data flow. With both electronics and the clothes ready, the last thing to be done is to integrate everything and test the sounds/lights, and that Read more →
I had to combine solo with Tiffany create a cohesive piece, which initially I could not see the concept of virtual touch in our performance. However, when Read more →
Last week I finished most of the non-electronic aspect of the costume design.
On the performance day, I will wear a white shirt under the outer garment and probably black pants to look like a conductor of an orchestra.
This week I focused more on codings especially the radio transmission of data used to generate and control sound within a MAX/MSP environment. Read more →
Last week I researched on the various electronic components that might be needed for the costume and tested some basic functional circuits off the fabrics( as things will get a tad complicated after the electronics are sewed onto the fabrics). Based on the concept of my costume, which is to explore the relationship between live music improvisation and dance choreography/freestyle, I Read more →