Last week I worked on the wireless transmission of data between the costume (Arduino Lilypad Board) and the Max software on the laptop. After adopting the trial-and-error method, I managed to achieve a relatively smoother data flow. With both electronics and the clothes ready, the last thing to be done is to integrate everything and test the sounds/lights, and that Read more →
I am totally happy with the sleeves 🙂 because 80% of it is my own attempt! Galina did help me with measuring and a little bit of sewing method, but the rest is my own trial and error (so, if you look very closely to the sleeves, there are 4 different ‘folding’ pattern hahahahaha because I keep trying to see Read more →
I had to combine solo with Tiffany create a cohesive piece, which initially I could not see the concept of virtual touch in our performance. However, when Read more →
Last week I finished most of the non-electronic aspect of the costume design.
On the performance day, I will wear a white shirt under the outer garment and probably black pants to look like a conductor of an orchestra.
This week I focused more on codings especially the radio transmission of data used to generate and control sound within a MAX/MSP environment. Read more →
Last week I researched on the various electronic components that might be needed for the costume and tested some basic functional circuits off the fabrics( as things will get a tad complicated after the electronics are sewed onto the fabrics). Based on the concept of my costume, which is to explore the relationship between live music improvisation and dance choreography/freestyle, I Read more →
As we approach the final performance, I shall reflect on the conference that happened last week. It was nice to hear an outsider’s perspective regarding our Touch performance and their interactions with Prof Randall, Prof Galine and Angelina. I thought it was nice to have each of us talk about the concepts Read more →
I finally managed to obtain the pictures of me making my costume so I will feature them in this post alongside some of the images from our rehearsal and my thoughts on it.
Process and Electronics
For my costume, I started out with cutting the plastic and arranging them according to the different shades of yellow, orange and Read more →
Continuation of dress-making
So far I had the shape of the dress along with the mesh and collar. The next steps were to add decorations to enhance the design of the dress.
To achieve an ombre effect on the skirt, I used this spray paint
After spray painting the dress
Starting to sew the Read more →
Adding boning to the sleeves to create wavy appearance
Continuation on dress making
Sewing three horizontal strips on the under layer of the dress as ‘pockets’ for the RGB LED strips
Under layer of dress with lights on
My choice of 5 different lights, namely: Red, Blue, Orange, Purple and Yellow was inspired from the colours of a jellyfish.
My choice of white colour Read more →
I will describe it in words, since I have not have the time to record it myself.*out of the screen* jump left right left right left right, slow down, jump faster again, until I reach the wall. Screech the wall, slowly…until I drop on the floor. Turn around while saying giant, giant, GIANT with varied Read more →