Arise / Shine (2015)
Ng Shi Ting, Singapore
Inspired by the beauty of the ocean waves, this piece seeks to show the relationship between one’s inner and outer beauty. With the use of contrasting mediums, fabric and plastic, a story is told. At many times, we tend to put up facades and personas as a mask to hide our perceived flaws. However, what is more beautiful is the real and albeit flawed character that shines from within. No one is perfect, but we are all works in progress.
Medium: Organza, Spandex, Plastic, LED, Arduino Lilypad, Battery, Light Sensor
- Making of bodice – sewing machine
- Making of inner lining – sewing machine
- Melting and fusing of plastic using heat gun
- Making of organza train
- Tie fabric into desired pattern/shape
- Boil/steam fabric in a pot for at least 45 minutes
- Soldering/connecting electronics
Thanks for reading!