in My Work, Prototype 1

Methodology + Production + Research

Green Screen

I wanted to book the photo studio in ADM for the green screen. However, the photo studio can only be booked by photography major students and I didn’t managed to find one in time. Hence, I had to improvise and create my own green screen instead. Below is a tutorial on how to make your own makeshift green screen.

Makeup

Shout out to Vimal from Year 3 Visual Communication for help me with the makeup for Soo, the model.

Moodboard for makeup. I wanted to recreate the Chinese concubine look in the ancient China to fit the theme of the module. Something red, bold, powerful and attractive.

Tip: If you have never worked with makeup before, it is best to find someone who knows how to do makeup.

Hair

I did the hair for the model myself. I wanted something simple yet strong so I looked up for a sleek, comb back look which is also a very popular hairstyle trend now in Hollywood. I used a lot a lot of hairspray. Hairspray is a must in order for this hairstyle to work and last. Wax is needed to keep the baby hair in check.

Tutorial

Body Tattoos

I got some body stickers too for the model to make her look more special and unique.

Result

Makeup: Vimal
Hair: Me
Styling: Me
Direction: Me
Accessories: Model’s own

Post Production

The lush bath bombs were low in resolution and I had to think of an alternative. I flipped the video. Decrease the brightness, increase contrast and highlights to achieve this look.

Result

Revolving Characters

This is inspired after Ina suggested to play with more motions and after she posted this video on the Facebook wall. The characters was working very well with the model. Hence, I decide to play more with the characters.

Link: https://www.facebook.com/FeltZine/videos/1542276912496751/?hc_ref=ARS4NqFExhqS-aNq67si27Pvh5rEaEmQOUXB–QQowoHY0GgJ2R4DRo8VrPoWloD1rY&fref=gs&dti=111931629484680&hc_location=group

Result

Icons (Design Thinking)

I wanted to create the galaxy, neon lights effect and play with symbols.

I rethink how the characters can transform themselves into icons.

Water = 水 = Circle + Blue
Fire = 火 = Triangle + Red
Earth = 土 = Square + Green
Air = 风 = Strokes + Yellow

Post-Production Process

Neon Lights tutorial

Result

Thoughts

Creating any piece of artwork regardless of the medium, is an ongoing process. A process of test and trial. There will never be a guaranteed perfect first time. In order for a piece of artwork to work, always test and get opinions from many people. Tip: Before you embark on the project, consider choosing the music first. Think about the mood you want to execute. It becomes easier because the music and mood helps you to visualise and form the visual in your mind.

End