in Final Project, Process, Research

Building Memories

The information below are extracted directly from ‘Building Memories’ by Lai Chee Kien. Only relevant information will be written and it will be paraphrased and be included in my final report.

Book: Building Memories

Author: Lai Chee Kien

Publisher: Ee Tai Press Pte Ltd in 2016

Summary: Given the scarcity of cohesive and up-to-date accounts of the four structures (National Library (built in 1960), the National Theatre (built in 1963), the Singapore Conference Hall and Trade Union House (1965) and the National Stadium (1973). the authors of this book decided that this publication will fill that void through their collective media efforts for a range of audiences. Through such intertextual readings, it is hoped that the key themes connecting architecture, people and the period of nationhood may be better appreciated. Three of these buildings: the National Library, the National Theatre and the National Stadium, have been demolished and new structures with similar functions constructed. 

Purpose of this book: I flipped through the book and realised that although its content have little relevance to my research, the structure of the book, how it tells the story of a place/architecture is applicable to my final product: Publication. I can draw inspiration from it and include it in my book.

Introduction of the architecture

History

Able to flip pages out to showcase a poem/message

Page is deliberately torn to emphasize how some books in the past was ‘dog-eared’ and torn.

Map of the building is included

List of events of the building

Programme list of an event that took place in the building.

This book gave me a brief idea on how I can craft out my publication to make it look more interesting and appealing for the audience. It is also a good way to archive materials and memories of a place before it is demolished.