2D Assignment 2 : Rhymes

Our New Assignment required us to interpret 4 lines from three nursery rhymes, ‘Humpty Dumpty’, ‘Hey Diddle Diddle’ and ‘There was an old lady who lived in a shoe’.

Initially, we were assigned groups in order to search for high resolution photographs related to one of the rhymes and then to transform the images into gray scale, half-toned images such as:

After changing all the photographs we found, we began to compose our interpretations of the individual lines of the rhymes using these photographs

HUMPTY DUMPTY SAT ON THE WALL 

After doing one composition which was a literal interpretation of the text, I started exploring the different contexts of the characters and decided to replace the traditional Humpty Dumpty with a child as I personally find children to be very delicate and easily tarnish-able. Hence, I thought that it would present a more interesting description of the text. I also placed the subject off-center, overlooking the entire kingdom so that the viewers will be able to understand the context better.

THERE WAS AN OLD LADY WHO LIVED IN A SHOE

In this series, I tried to experiment with different ways of representing a shoe and the old lady without an outright portrayal of the text. I tried to create the impression of a shoe using the the shoe prints as a background.

HUMPTY DUMPTY HAD A GREAT FALL

I imagined that falling down from a very high wall would be terrifying and somewhat like the drop in a rollercoaster ride so I incooperated those motifs into my draft 2 in order to improve my more-literal draft 1.

HEY DIDDLE DIDDLE! THE CAT AND THE FIDDLE

In the first draft, I felt my composition was too all-over with no focus point where some subjects were just put in to fill up space. So I revised it by removing some distracting elements and shifting the main subjects such that the eyes are guided through the composition.

ALL THE KING’S HORSES AND ALL THE KING’S MEN

Although I didn’t make more drafts of this composition, I felt that it is both aesthetically pleasing and contextually accurate in depicting the text. The King’s subjects are all surrounding the broken egg and the king appears to be aloof and away from the problem as he oversees it.

COULDN’T PUT HUMPTY TOGETHER AGAIN

In this series, I jest played around with elements I though was relevant to the text and used juxtaposition to composite the subjects such that it portrayed the notion that what happened can’t be undone or put back exactly as it was.

FINAL

After looking through all my compositions I decided to have all four final compositions be about the rhyme ‘Humpty Dumpty’. I felt that I was able to convey my interpretations of this rhyme better compared to the other rhymes. I also think that my take on the text of the ‘Humpty Dumpty’ rhyme was not cliche or very literal like the others.

Draft 3

HUMPTY DUMPTY SAT ON A WALL

Humpty Dumpty 2_2

HUMPTY DUMPTY HAD A GREAT FALL

Humpty Dumpty 3

ALL THE MING”S HORSES AND ALL THE KING”S MEN

Draft 3

COULDN’T PUT HUMPTY TOGETHER AGAIN