” SMELL. “
Heng Tong x Hong Sheng
In the last week, we were encouraged to try collecting smells with the use of materials, hence we carried out the experiment shortly after. We used the ‘magic sponge’ that was used for the very first class exercise.
We went around school to ‘plant’ sponges and see if they do actually collect smell.
Objective: Collect various smells around NTU campus through sponge.
Duration: 12 Feb 1800hrs – 14 Feb 1000hrs (approx. 40hrs)
Material: ‘Magic’ Sponge
Weather: Humid, Sunny, sans-rain
1) ADM Smoking Area
2) ADM Water Fountain
3) ADM Verdant Turfed Roof aka rooftop
4) Canteen 2 Bus Stop
5) Sheltered Walkway, Opposite Blk 35F
6) Binjai Hall, Umbrella Shelter
7) Graduates’ Hall Bus stop
8) Fire Assembly Area, opposite Graduates’ Hall
9) Lamp Post along running track
10) North Spine Bus Stop
11) North Spine Fast Food Area
12) N.S3 Locker Area
Images of the locations where sponges were placed at:
*Click on images to view larger
In that short 40-hour-span, sponges did collect different smells from the various locations they were placed in NTU. Different parts of the campus do have a distinct difference in smell. Even though some of the sponges collected distinct scents, we were not able to specify the specific scent.
1) Sponges could be wet prior to placement at various locations for possible better absorption of smell.
2) Duration of experiment can be prolonged further, for weather testing.
Possible site exploration:
1) ADM Verdant Turfed Roof under-utilized area, can be considered as an area for congregation, but may disrupt clean greenery feature of ADM.
2) Running Track, open space
To be continued…