Rhymes // – 1

Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall

Humpty Dumpty had a great fall

All the king’s horses and all the king’s men

Couldn’t put Humpty together again

Welp. Haven’t heard this nursery rhyme in ages.
I used to sing this joyously but now when I look at it, i’m so concerned –

why was I singing about an egg dying?

But with age comes a different perspective on things and that is why this project is so intriguing.

I started off searching for images that were quite literal. Along the way, I stumbled upon images from really old illustrative books and that geared me to search for images like that.

I ended up focusing mostly on botanical images, alchemy illustrations and mythical creatures.
When edited in photoshop (threshold/half tone/posterised), such images retain better details. It would also look quite hand-made that way.

Along the way, I had a few ideas about how I could gear something banal like Humpty Dumpty into something more meaningful.

As mentioned in class, political satire could used as a basis to create a composition with a deeper meaning. It made me wonder if I could do something about LGBT rights and how the political situation in the world is so touchy right now. It sounds a little morbid but ‘having a great fall’ could be the idea of how people are so repressed by society/certain governments and choose to commit suicide. Mentioning ‘ all the king’s horses and all the king’s men’ and being unable to help them, it could be how society claims to help such marginalised groups but are often not fully committed to helping and/or aren’t helpful.

This is just a rough idea so far, I’d play around with the images and see what happens. If it doesn’t convey my message then I may just change my idea. //

2 comments for “Rhymes // – 1