2D ASSIGNMENT 1: TYPOGRAPHIC PORTRAIT PROBLEM

2D ASSIGNMENT 1

TYPOGRAPHIC PORTRAIT PROBLEM

FINAL

1. I’M MORE THAN MEETS THE EYE

more than meets the eye: [there are] hidden values or facts regarding something

• font used: Montserrat
  • an interactive piece where a pull of the slip reveals that the multicoloured facade of myself is not entirely pure
  • the black parts of the letters represent the darkness and scars I have but try to conceal from the public’s eye
  • only when you get to know me better will I reveal my true colours (in this case the tainted part)
  • the black bars in front of my name also gives the illusion of prison bars which allude to the idea how I feel trapped in front of others because I cannot reveal my true personality

final-2-2

final-2-1

2. I NEED TO SACRIFICE TO STAND OUT

sacrifice: give up (something valued) for the sake of other considerations

• font used: Georgia
  • I surrounded my name with the alphabets with the original font type of Georgia and in alphabetical order
  • the idea of being very systematic and ordinary; to be just like rest
  • I removed the decorative flourishes of the letters to change the font of my name from a serif type to a san serif type to represent the notion of sacrificing part of myself to be different
  • I purposely faded the original alphabets with the same fade as the decorative flourishes to show how I broke free of the norms and what is left of me stands out from the rest

final-1-1 

3. I ADMIRE THE BOUNDLESS AESTHETICS OF DANCE

boundless: unlimited or immense.

aesthetics: a set of principles concerned with the nature and appreciation of beauty.

• font used: Ginebra
  • the two tips of the letter “g” and “k” look like hands in a dance position
  • the beauty of dance is being depicted by the overlap of the letter where they touch at parts and almost touch at others
  • the idea of boundless is represented by how the letters extend beyond the constrains of the space
  • like how the most impressive kind of dance is one that challenges the dancer beyond our comfort zone

final-3-1

4. I’M A MESS

mess: a situation that is confused and full of problems

considering 4 classifications of fonts:

1. Serif type: old style, transitional, neoclassical & didone, slab, clavendon, glyphic
  2. San serif: grotesque, square, humanistic, geometric
  3. Script: formal, casual, calligraphic, blackletter & lombardic
  4. Decoration: grunge, psychedelic, graffiti
  • font used: G (transitional serif type: Baskerville), R (casual script: Brush Script), A (blackletter & lombardic script: Agincourt), C (graffiti decorative: Inner City), I (decorative: Alt Smaq 2.8), E (geometric: Futura)
  • overlapping the letters of my name with each letter with a different font
  • only work that is in portrait to enhance the idea of how I am disorganised
  • to further add to the state of confusion, I inverted the position of the titles

final-4-1

PROCESS

EXECUTION

I NEED TO SACRIFICE TO STAND OUT

test-1

test-1-3

test-1-1

• the idea is the same as explained for the final

comments: I explore with spacing and size to compare which would look visually stronger for presentation

I’M AN ORGANISED MESS

final-14-1

• use of repetition and overlapping to show the idea of mess

comments: I like how the letters overlap and how they touch at some points but almost touch at others but there nothing special, doesn’t accentuate the idea of a mess

final-20-1

• based on the idea of a snellen chart
  • the letters to my name are messed up by placed in an orderly manner

comments: too straightforward, doesn’t accentuate the idea of a mess

I’M MORE BAD THAN GOOD

test-2

• black side is the bad side and the white part shows the good side
  • even though there are the same number of letters on each side, “GRA” takes up more space on the left side (good) as compared to “CIE” on the right side (good)
  • the imbalances shows how there is more darkness in me than good

comments: I like how the outcome looks, looks really simple yet bold but it doesn’t really show the “bad” and good” 

I’M A LINGUIST

test-6

• my name and nicknames in phonetics
  • phonetics is the basis for the English language and linguist do study the pronunciation of words
  • therefore the mouth is a symbol for pronouncing the phonetics

comments: the outcome looks nice but doesn’t fit the style of my other works, doesn’t really show the essence of a linguist 

test-3

• another aspect of linguistics is the analysis of text
  • highlighting and underlining the letters of my name to show the analytical part of linguistics

comments: my name doesn’t really stand out and the passage tends to overpower the meaning 

I’M TRAPPED

test-5

• the idea of being trapped in a box or behind bars
  • part of me trying to break free so the letters are being partially covered

comments: the idea is too common and I tried to make it 3D but the meaning was still too literally 

test-10

• the letters are enclosing on the letter “I” like how I am feel trapped by society
  • the letter “I” is being greyed out to show I feel suffocated by people around me and feel like dying out

comments: doesn’t really reflect the idea of being but more of wanting to stand out from the rest 

I WANT TO STAND OUT

test-8

• the letter “I” sticks out from the rest of my name and is being emphasised by it’s larger size and the bold contrasting colour of red
  • this brings out the idea of how “I” want to stand out
  • the close spacing between the “C” and “E” also shows the inner-struggle I face if I want to stand out

comments: simple and bold statement where the audience can immediately link to the attribute mentioned but it does not bring out the essence of wanting to stand out from the crowd

final-16-1

• the repetition of my name and the simplicity of the font the normality of myself as just another face in the crowd
  • the blue letters stand out among the yellow letters and it appears diagonally to create the effect of still being around other people

comments: I made a clearer idea of a crowd through repetition but the idea still seems very simple and the choice of type could be better.

I’M IN THE PROCESS OF FINDING MYSELF

final-17-1

• As the word progresses downwards, my name appears one letter at time until my full name is revealed
  • I was trying to convey the idea of slowly finding myself through gaining pieces of me piece by piece

comments: I idea has been conveyed quite accurately but horizontally, I feel that there seems be a little lacking on the sides because of the font choice.

final-19-1final-18-1

• both give the idea of self reflection
  • as in goes down both increase in letter as it progresses downwards for the left side and reduces a letter for the right side
  • the only difference is the position of the groups which produces the different visual impact

comments: Visually, I like the outcome because the blatant blank space int he middle. However, it doesn’t communicate the idea of it being a process more like losing and gaining part of myself.

final-15-1

• I removed a letter from from each in sequence of the letters in my name
  • this piece shows how I am currently in the process of finding myself because part of me is constantly missing

comments: The idea conveyed her is starkly different from the rest where my name full name is seen in one part of the work

I DON’T ALWAYS REFLECT HOW I FEEL

test-7

• I wanted to depict the image of a water reflection
  • the imperfect horizontal reflection of my name expounds on the idea of how I do not reflect my true self. (word play on the word “reflect”

comments: My name in reflection may not work for the method because the “G” cannot really be clearly recognised as a “G” and the “R” became a “B” so it may be a bit confusing at first glance if the viewer does not understand the attribute. 

I’M MORE THAN MEETS THE EYE (I)

test-12-3

• I made a pun with the word “eye” as in “I” so the the “I” in my name extends through all the letters, connecting them.
  • This conveys the idea of how I have more in me (represented by the rest of the letters) than just the “I”

comments: it is hard to understand the connection of the attribute the type without explanation

SKETCHES

Scan 11 Scan 14 Scan 15 Scan 16 Scan 17 Scan 18 Scan 19 Scan 20

INSPIRATION

kid

23eb510990cf66b6649e578d8be886d8

066b15198c6861e2e62038445efa1afe 277b6e247318eefeb3892484eb1101d9 826bded749eb7c3c98a97a2c1cf2d61e 836296e2c3f325acf6b3d85f94c1836b 55695777efdee359d87af4735e9ae242 a244475943533b69ed6efcb2c36e8bfc b50f376365c1c3cadcb6db6f036b13c4 b596a19b5fbb634566e7997625b7d0fa

e76ff95b9adfef79dc347dd7fdb90b35 fa202c8c2cfe122cb0d412a38b8c59ca ff3aa91f47958ea520df5005ab23d6d7 florist kid2 Lo-Siento-design-typography-19mechanic tomdavie_2011type_05 travel1 travel2

0dae308257c2b1044e7a9de60eec5ef9

6eb43d9e2c3d85626f84772c38ec128b

064f1c4f6ae87ef1dcd53e7e33e3a81d

ba21336947217123e054d55f8c8d1e00

d50ad808de6b71e2faac120fb7130eb5

tumblr_nw2s6dXoRD1r2xivuo1_r1_1280tumblr_o1znokTG741rkm3u3o3_1280 tumblr_o288r4ssNg1qa2g6fo1_1280

REFLECTIONS

This assignment was a good opportunity for self reflection and trying to link the attributes to a typeface.

It was an interesting first step into typography where we had to explore the different classifications of fonts.

I wanted to explore more into the typography aspect of conveying meaning so I went for a more simple approach for this assignment instead of my usual experimental approach to my works. At the same time, I wanted to find a definitive style in my works. So, for this assignment I kept a consistent style throughout my works and stuck mainly to graphical representation. I attempted to go for a more minimalist style which is evident throughout my test samples and final works.

The toughest part of the process was to narrow dow initial ideas to the final 4. Another challenging part was choosing the piece which best represented the attribute. I mostly started with a basic representation of the attribute through a single type and added on to it to bring out the attribute better. This was a mix of difficult decisions because I had to make my work more unique and ensure that the attribute can be clearly understood at first glance and yet be be careful not to over power the base product if not the meaning would be lost. I had to also be careful not be too abstract in my representation because I tend to try to portray a lot of ideas into one piece, causing the view to be confused at the intended meaning of the piece.

An improvement to this project would be that I should have tried more samples before I did my final piece. Especially for the “more than meets the eye” piece where the interactive component was more challenging to execute. In the end, the final piece camp out a bit messy because I had to keep re-sticking the portion.

Overall,  although I wished that the pieces could have linked together better but I really like the visual outcome of the pieces when they were printed out.