Research Critique Hyperessay – Bold3RRR

Jon Cates started his Realtime BOLD3RRR… in a totally different way by switching between his desktop share screen and his webcam Skype. Manually controlling of the visual images accompanied by various different noise combine together. It all feel very natural to the artist but a very different style of narration. Although it is different, it catches people’s attention because they are curious about where is this sound coming from and why is the image switching around. In the reading stated:

his “dirty new media” aesthetic that brings to the surface the aberrations and raw imperfections that are typically verboten in “high-end” digital circles.

I do agree that raw imperfections are portray in the works he have done demonstrates the glitch are breaking the rules but exploring with a different platform. He is just like a DJ but doubling the job of controlling the visual as well! It also stir us away from perfection to look at the raw imperfections, looking beyond the imperfection. Which I felt while viewing BOLD3RRR… I would let nature to take it course to bring me everywhere whenever familiar objects or experience bring me. Even though I might not get the full meaning of what Jon Cates, I am sure certain part of the video would reminds you of your certain experience in life. I though that was intriguing and evoking questioning would be enough to serve its purpose.

…+ openUp possibilities, potentialities for ppl, as well as for myself, but also for a community that can mobilize around these approaches, these ideas.

In reflection to the current society when we are too obsessed with perfection we become so serious in a way that we forget how to play and enjoy the process. We also focus on the productivity that we forget to explore the possibility.

but from a d1Ɍ+y̶̶N̶3WWW_M3DI∆ perspective, what you might want to be doing is “rebugging,” && pushing different aspects of the machinewwwhirlds to see their thresholds, exxxperiment, + play.

Viewer might also have a sense of annoyed at first like how I did. This almost natural reaction triggers our memories from our previous experience from technological errors. However, I felt we should not exclude and avoid the possibility. I found an article regarding glitch art interview with jonCates as well questioning about the kind of thinking we have from this art form can be applied to other aspects in life which

we often ignore those who don’t fit into our social ideals of perfections and worthiness;

It makes me think deeper that are am I open up to surprise or only see what I wanted to see? In conclusion, many times in our lives we face obstacles, problems and sets backs which we can all relate it as glitch. The dirty new media that Jon Cates created provides a whole new experience for us to face those natural accidents that we usually wanted to get rid. As when we are expose to unconventional means we could gain new insight that help us delve into opportunity like we never before.

Author: Su Hwee Lim

I am a picky vegetarian who is a left hander. A Minority in minority.

2 thoughts on “Research Critique Hyperessay – Bold3RRR”

1. A very beautiful essay. I think this statement exactly sums up why we are studying this kind of experimental art:

You are so right: Jon Cates shows us a way to play, to create something that is so unfiltered that is opens up new possibilities for artistic expression. That is precisely the significance of glitch: it allows all the things we try not to do, it celebrates them, and it shows there are an infinite number of ways of doing things. Rather than only doing the things we think are right, glitch show us how doing things the “wrong” way can be right in an entirely new way. Excellent piece.

2. I liked how you quoted Jon Cates’ statement about our tendency to ignore those who do not fit into our societal idea of ‘perfection’, and how he offers a new perspective through his works. Indeed, we often forget to play, enjoy and explore possibilities in our subconscious pursuit of perfection. Errors are not setbacks, but rather opportunities for us to explore and create art. Despite its ‘annoying’ nature, I’m glad that this glitch art by Jon Cates is something that you can closely relate to and critique upon. Great reflection! ?