After meeting with Prof LP, there is a few question that I would need to find out to make my project direction clearer:
- Why do I use devices?
Because device is tangible object, its a physical thing that we can interact with. Although screens is also an object but the interaction are display it did not provide a physical, touchable and tangible interaction.
- Why am I doing this?
Capture different kind of reaction by different kind of people.
Experiment or study of human behaviour?
- What I am going to do with the photos?
Create a conversation?
Making it into gif? Showing each authentic reaction of individuals.
Process of Action[device] —> Reaction [Viewer’s reaction]
- Am I getting reaction or expression?
After looking into the words, I realise reaction is more towards an instant responds while express was describing the look on someone face that convey an emotions. The direction I am going for are more towards reaction, the instant respond of the viewer. Even it is a slight raise of eye brow are also a reaction respond.
- Why reaction?
I was actually quite stuck with my idea and I begin to research some research paper.
- Some emotional state may be displayed by different expressive action such as facial gestures or body posture.
- Unintentional Transmission of affects across individuals highlight the intimate correspondence between perception of emotion and expressive motor reaction.
[unseen facial and bodily expression trigger fast emotional reaction 2009]
- Emotions are intense, relatively short-term affective reaction to a specific environmental stimulus.
[The Ripple Effect: Emotional Contagion and Its Influence on Group Behavior 2002]
- Behaviours and ideas are spread by copying and imitation.
[Evolution & Social behaviour philosophy of biology 2014]
- Newton’s Third Law: For every action, there is an equal & opposite reaction
After all these, I felt i should narrow down to the core of my project and brunch out and strengthen it along the way. I would put aside the part where taking photograph of the view and concentrate on the reaction:
Using devices to create reaction from the viewer.
When the viewer interact with my devices and when they have reaction = they are in the present, being there with me. They might not realise it but by giving reaction they are living in the present and changing themselves from a viewer into a participant.