Using the sound generation system I used in my generative sketch:
RECAP for Generative Artwork:
Aiming to extract a sound from the visual textures of stone involves two aspects:
1. Subtracting three-dimensional forms of the material into visual data that can be converted into audio/ sounds
2. Designing a model that generates sounds that the audience would perceive/ associate the tactile qualities of the specific material.
- Obtaining visual data from camera (kinect)
– Depth value, x, y
– 3D scanning – line/ wave data
– Breaking 3D forms into grains
- Visual textures to Sound – WaveTable Synthesis
– Ableton Live
- Granular Synthesis – Complex sonic textures
- Real-time generation of sound – OSC SuperCollider
i. When the depth value hits a certain value, the wavetable will be triggered.
ii. Granular synthesis using spatial data of the object
iii. Using data points in 3D space, when it is triggered, a certain sound/ virtual synthesizer is played.
- Studying ‘Classifications of sound textures’ to design sounds that relate to tactile qualities
- Granular Synthesis tutorial
- Feedback from guest lecture