Line Model: Tetrahedron
Initially, I tried to do something which consisted of many triangles and are symmetrically balanced. However, I felt that it would looked a tad bit boring, as it looked the same from almost every sides. Hence, I decided to change the design, but kept the usage of mainly triangles and angular shapes.
I decided to make the planar model resemble a triangle from every view by ensuring that the ends of all the shapes create an overall implied shape of a triangle / tetrahedron. I took rather long to catch the correct angle / size; planes kept protruding too much out of the linear model as I was unable to calculate the angle, and I had troubles cutting the slots at the correct angles.
Lines + Planes Model:
As the concept is about “breaking free”, I decided to to use the same materials I used for the planar model ( plus cotton thread ) to imply the concept of breaking free from the tetrahedron shape, and as well as “breaking away from the norms”.
When we think about cardboard or triangles, we would visualise them as something angular and flat. Hence, I decided to create curves using cardboard by creasing and cutting the cardboard with different flute directions, to convey the idea of “breaking free from the norms”; cardboard being flat and can only be folded in right angles. I was also inspired by some of the works of Alexander Calder and Alan Brain, where they uses geometric shapes, but not in a usual flat way.
Furthermore, I wanted to imply the movement of “breaking away” from the original tetrahedron shape by using the same shapes / planes I used for my planar model, placed in a similar position, with the shapes being longer and bigger to dramatise the idea of movement. I felt that the curves of the shapes help to suggest the movement of breaking away as well; the biggest plane resembled how a paper would look like when it is being dropped, and the prism shape looked like how a paper would look like when the wind carried it up – and are going in different directions.
I created triangles using chopsticks, and glued them together in different angles to imply the movement, and as well as to support the planes. I decided to use cotton thread to support the planes, and as well as to further amplify the movement.