Initially, I wanted to do a visual explanation infographic to show the process of our food systems to show how food was not the only thing that was wasted when we waste food. However, I felt that it would be too complex for an infographic poster, and it would be rather difficult to highlight key stats and information that respondents from my surveys did not know about:
- The extent of the environmental impacts of food waste.
- What we are wasting when we waste food.
- The underestimated amount of food waste that we generate in Singapore.
- The lack of knowledge about food waste are being incinerated, and are only second behind plastics to be disposed of / incinerated in Singapore.
Hence, initially I decided to summarise and use half the page for the process, while the other half for the key stats:
Combined the process with the central image. However, I felt that it was rather difficult to place information around the centralised globe. I tried to move and resize the globe, but it was still rather restrictive.
- The printed colours were very dark, hard to differentiate things.
- Figure-ground and background not pronounced.
- Colours and tints – need to make it pop out even more.
- Title needs to be bolder, or stacked.
- Title too far away from the main visual.
- The food being thrown to the fire are too messy.
- Placed the central image together with the title to have a more distinct relationship with one another.
- Which could also free up more space and enable both the globe and the title to be bigger.
- Made the colours pop out even more.
- Made dividers more distinct.
- Re-illustrated some illustrations to make them clearer.
- Replaced the process and impact with summarised icons of the wastage
- Which was what I wanted to highlight.
- Reduced to just icons, headers for the icons, and the summarised impact as the information was too chunky.
- Text remained a little larger to enable people to read key texts from a distance.
- Tried to keep the text to as short as possible, and straight to the point.
- Changed the overall typeface as people might misread the capital “G” of the previous typeface.
- Made texts smaller to generate contrasts.
- Tweaked the colours again to ensure that the darkest colour can still be seen against the background.
- Standardised yellow text as the divider.
- Made the illustrations in the last row smaller.
- Made the text in the last row centralised.