I have fine tuned my concept with my garment and have found more examples that could be interesting to incorporate into.
Since I am focusing on the idea of comfort and privacy, the idea of having a wearable technology that plays along the idea of the beauty of silence came to me. For me fashion has always been a language perceived by others about how they are as a person. If someone wore something bright and colourful, they are deemed as a loud and vibrant person however if someone who wears plain colours are deemed boring and simple.
I have found several articles that speak about this culture that worships sound but find silence uncomfortable. And here are some quotes that I found interesting.
- “A culture that worships loud people”
- “Quiet people have a strong voice”
- “Silence is not the absence of words, but the presence of focus”
- “Quiet people need more safe time”
There is this general assumption that and labels being put on quiet people there something is definitely wrong when they are quiet. So my concept I think would be interesting if its ironic how avant garde fashion can attract attention because of its “noise” yet bring awareness to this “quiet” issue. This also helps people to learn and appreciate silence in a more physical sense. Almost like how nature flourishes when it is undisturbed.
- Who: For quiet people to wear, feel like they can stand out without making a sound/ For the society that is noise driven to understand and appreciate the beauty of silence
- What: A garment that will bloom/move/vibrate/grow/spread when the surrounding is quieter but recedes back when it starts to be noisy.
- When: Noisy/Quiet
- Where: Public/Open Space/City area
- Why: A misunderstood issue approached in another way.
- How: Sensors that respond to sound/ Servo motors that move / Sensors that can sense stares
These are currently my three concept sketches. The most left is a garment that will only start crunching up to reveal a beautiful pattern when there is silence. The centre is an outerwear that will have “flowers” blooming only when there is silence. The final is a round skirt that will slowly “grow” vines or flowers when there is silence.
That is all, thank you for reading!