Below I would be explaining a bit on the process towards the final outcome! Scroll all the way down to the final product if you want to skip it!
- Binding methods.
- Paper choices.
- First mock-up.
- Second mock-up.
- Final Zine.
From my first assignment which was using typography to create my name. I noticed that I really enjoy having an individual focused colour as it made the works stand out more, and in contrast to b/w it could also deliver a different meaning.
I can’t seem to find it but there was a piece I did in polytechnic where I used the colour red in a b/w poster about back ache to deliver an effective message about pain in that area.
During the process, I also went for my brother’s design FYP show in Temasek Polytechnic and took some pictures of books they have created that I found interesting.
Last but not least, I found an accordion bind noisesg book at the counter of ADM and was quite excited to see and touch something so closely related to my inspiration.
Having both brother from TP and Lasalle, I constantly see them creating books and using different methods of binding. These intrigued me and made me can’t wait to do it as well.
I initially wanted perfect binding, but felt that 2 pieces of paper would not justify the action and went ahead with saddle stitching my book for the first mock-up with thread. (Left: Perfect binding, Right: Saddle stitch)
Here is a link I found on some consideration you can make when choosing your binding methods. They only introduce the saddle stitch method and perfect bind, but also included some tips on gutter space and paper choices which I found really useful.
I found this french fold binding really interesting but did not go for it.
The accordion bind which I chose as the final as I found it to be more engaging, but also as its difficulties which I will explain below.
A little hindsight on zines. They are self-published books that are able to express the creator’s ideas without it being censored, edited or watered down by a middle man. Everything holds together as a diy concept and has an authentic element towards it. Some controversial topics that were used previously were political, feminism or even on LGBT rights.
Moving towards that direction, I consciously created something that is not overly produced but also not under produced as well.
80-90GSM: Normal printing paper, too thin for my liking.
140-170GSM: Ideal paper as it is not too flimsy and not too hardy as well.
250-300+GSM: Too professional-like for me and does not convey the ideal of a zine.
Colours: I tried on white paper but thought it looked too sterile for me, and experimented with off-white.
As you can see, there was an excessive usage of red and also a mixed of illustrations and photos. The binding that I used for this is the saddle stitch with thread. The tread that I used were too thin and it broke the next day when I went for consultation.
From this, we took into consideration that:
- The first 2 page looks good.
- 8 and 9 could be played along more.
- The colour red works well.
- I should explore on more binding methods like accordion bind.
I added the elements from the “point of view” assignment like the talisman and the hands.
Changes to be made:
- Write 1993 instead of 3991.
- Work on “Do what makes you happy” quote, might be seen too far apart and as individuals.
- “Cut here”? Cut where, make it clearer.
- Words too small, far apart, and contains widows and rivers.
- Picture in the letter “A” too pixelated, change into one that is higher res.
- The tone of red was not consistent.
- Printing too small (Miscalculated and printed it into A6 instead.)
As my printing were too small in the previous round because I thought A3 would be enough to accordion bind an A5, but no. I tried to source out for printers that printed A2 double sided but were to no avail until my younger brother recommended “Leadership printing” at peace centre and was told to bring my own paper.
Logically I brought an A2 paper which I bought from “Fancy Paper” and walked over to the printing shop, but was told that I needed an A1 paper instead as their machine could only fit that size for my need. Thus, I walked back to get my paper again and then back to print. Horrible experience, but thank god Darren was with me to get me going!
Printed 2 just in case I made a mistake, which I did. -.-
I accidentally dripped the wax somewhere else on the paper than the eyes. One of the drip can be seen on the word “here”.
To be improved:
- The paper used might be too yellow which caused the red to turn into a tint of orange, which contradicts with the title of the book.
Taken the consideration of an accordion bind, I made it interactive with the hands clapping, and the pulling of the red strings as you open and close the zine as seen in the gif above.
Overall, I really enjoyed the works that I did this semester more than the ones I did in sem one as I am able to explore more items and also to allow my own style and creativity to be seen more prominently.
The last creation of zine was really amazing as I was able to do something that I have always thought about doing, but was not able to because of the lack of motivation. I learned that you have to be extremely meticulous with what paper, binding, design, text, colours you used in a book and it could make or break your work! I also believe that we only had a small glimpse of the viscomm life, and I can’t wait!
I would definitely miss this class (Joy and my lovely classmates) and please say hi when we meet in the corridors! 🙂