I am a messy artist, but that’s okay. I make things work, out of what doesn’t.
This is my performance for the video selfie. What I did was to open my wardrobe to a mess and start rummaging through it. I picked out certain objects to look at it / wear it. Finally, I found the item I am looking for and turns around, to which I pick up my phone to show what it is — a cactus and a succulent. I watered them and rotated them to reveal that there are more parts of the plants than what it was initially shown to look like.
Here are the significant objects I used
From top left:
- Some random junk – Junk thoughts
- Spoilt vinyl record – My love for music
- Whiteboard – My love for organisation
- Poster of the game “Portal” – My love for gaming
- Vietnam hat – Just a prop honestly
- My plants – The representation of a good idea that can be developed
- Batik prints from Penang – My appreciation for art
- Nerf Gun box – My love for fun stuffs
- Acrylic painting from Hong Kong – My appreciation for art
This video represents me as an artist in the way that I search for ideas. My mind is a haphazard mess and my ideas are represented by the objects.
By opening the wardrobe to reveal the mess, I am showing the inner workings of my mind. The items I threw out are what occupies my mind. Random thoughts, music, plannings, games and playing, art.
After searching throughout and emptying my thoughts, I found my idea and brings it to the window. These are revealed to be my cactus and succulent. I water them, which represents me nurturing the idea. Afterwhich I turn the plants to reveal that the cactus has small buddings (unintentional that it looks phallic… It’s just the way my cactus grew #dontjudge) and that the succulent have an extended part to it. This represents the way I can grow ideas to change perspectives.
I chose White Light by Shura, specifically the part from 5:17~.
What I love about it is that at about 5:51, there is a sequence which reminds me of a journey (through space). I tried to time everything so this part will start when I pick my plants from the wardrobe. This represents the finding of something important and a shift in pace.
Also, this song stuck with me for about 3 years, which is a classic for me, so I thought it was appropriate to have it to represent me.
How can the video selfie be used to alter identity?
- To me, the video selfie is just a representation of my inner identity and not something that alters it. It may be scripted, which can show people what you want them to see, so it can be faked easily. I feel that the video selfie says little about a person, unless the video selfie shows something impactful or shocking. Perhaps, like any other selfies, they are mostly insignificant.
How might video be used to conceal identity?
- As mentioned above, it can be scripted. It can be made into a very elaborate performance, but that may not represent you.
How do the objects that surround you contribute to your sense of identity?
- They are representation of my inner thoughts, and so they do offer some insights for others to know who I am. In some ways, the objects create intimacy.
Overall I want to portray myself as haphazard and messy, but also can provide the world with a piece of myself that is fresh and can change perspectives.