Final Project : Creating a Lampshade from SEM
The task given to us this time was to combine the aspects of the sculpture from the SEM of my partner and I; her’s being chalk and mine being human skin.
SEM of Human Skin – Adapted the slight stacking and flat texture of the human skin. Utilised the conical-shape of my previous project as well as the base shape of the structure itself.
SEM of Chalk – We stuck to the roundish singular unit and developed from the object; perhaps varying in size and shape in the final product.
Sketches for our original product plans –
we initially wanted to go for a Russian Faberge-Egg shape sliced into half as a standing lampshade.
Though we eventually adapted the conical shape of the product of my SEM and made it more pointy.
We tried to recreate the roundish-circular shape by attempting to mould cooked spaghetti (which we heated up in the cup noodles container; that I ate quickly) and resting it into the circular shape as it cooled. It didn’t work out as we expected as the spaghetti was too fragile and malleable after being cooked.
So we went back to the drawing board and stuck to our original aim of using fruits; namely:
Grapefruits, oranges and lemons for the citrus-ish colour scheme.
We stuck the fruits onto a hard, paper and cardboard-mix surface as a backing as we tried to place the fruits in a conical shape. We secured it initially with hot glue first, before slicing away the paper base after getting the required shape.
The glue got loose after detaching the fruits from the original base; which we sutured (yes, like doctors with metal wires) the fruits together in order to keep their shape. Afterwards, we attached the remaining bits with half pieces (we deliberated between the half-moon, face-down semi-circle and face-up semi-circle for the dangling ornaments, but decided that the half-moon was the least jarring and most matching.
One week later
AND THEN THE FINAL PRODUCT. (BELOW)