To connect strings together in an interesting manner –
I bought some flexible mahjong paper to test out a more flexible material for the strong sculpture; tested out an outrageous colour of yellow to try something out from my comfort zone.
The first Prototype didn’t turn out as well as I had expected with White Fishing Lines – they were hard to prick through the paper and to use as a material for sewing. Decided to go with something softer and more bendable.
For the second prototype, I liked the feeling of strength that the horizontal lines gave. They also lead our vision in straight lines; an easy focal point. I went ahead and picked up the black and white strings to use for the final product from Daiso.
Third prototype – tested the usage of straight instead of leading lines. I liked the effect, hence I adopted it for the final product.
And finally, the final product. I used the plastic sheet for its malleable flexibility. Its a challenge to predict and balance out the tension in order not to overtax certain areas of the plastic. Counteracted some of the faults and collapse of the structure by increasing a separate section of tension to the structure.
All I can say about the project, is that to balance and create an appealing structure at the same time is challenging; whilst looking organising yet interesting to look at.