Identifying with Designers

Marc Newson // Fukasawa Naoto // Ross Lovegrove // Yves Behar // Karim Rashid

I admit that when I was given these five names of designers to choose from that I best identify with, I had picked Fukasawa solely based on what I saw on Google images. His simple and minimalist designs were what I found to be most aesthetically pleasing.

However upon further research on the five designers, I find myself inspired immensely by Ross Lovegrove and Yves Behar.

Ross Lovegrove

Lovegrove’s design philosophy bases mostly from nature, and I identify best with this. Nature provides us with the best inspirations. Their structures and forms can be mathematical, yet they are unpredictable; they are logical, yet there is beauty in them. I believe that Lovegrove displays these contrasting qualities best in the organic forms of his designs.

Go Chair. Its organic fluidity makes a unique design and comfortable form to sit on.
Bone structure in which Lovegrove simplified and reduced into the Go Chair’s building structure.

What amazes me is how Lovegrove is able to simplify and reduce such complex forms and patterns in nature into something minimalist yet fascinating. His designs are simply aesthetically pleasing, and still retains its original function. He does not have to sacrifice his products’ purpose for the sake of aesthetics.

Yves Behar

Yves Behar is another designer I identify with because of the purpose in his designs. He takes designs beyond just designs. He brings in the social aspect of designs by making his products widely available, his designs have become a bridging tool for communication, as well as incite environmental change.

XO laptops are economic and aesthetically friendly. They offer a cheaper solution for children in developing countries.
ElliQ robot. Helps the elders stay connected to the world more easily.

Helping people is one of my passions. And because currently I meet with elders every week to accompany them and have nice long chats with them, I find Behar’s ElliQ robot as a model example of a product I would love to design one day. I believe that designers can take one step further by not only designing products that are used for their literal functions, but they can also provoke social impacts, such as creating environmentally-friendly or affordable products, or products that can promote healthy relationships within a community.

One Reply to “Identifying with Designers”