in 4D Foundation - 6, Research

Journey into “Space”

Did anyone get the Alien reference in the featured image….anyways…

It’s still pretty rough especially with the zooming in part…the pacing changes at a very strange moment and it’s not zoomed into the black space entirely…(gonna correct that…) moving on….

The idea was inspired by a photograph I took last year. I was in my kitchen at night and the lights were switched off except for a light from another room beside it. The light reflected onto the washing machine was really intriguing. There was something about that photo that reminded me of an alien invasion.

Afterwards, I rotated the photo and made it black and white. I realised it resembled a space shuttle in space so I decided to further work on this idea.

Screen Shot 2015-09-24 at 9.49.00 pm

I retook the photo using my digital camera instead of my phone (previously) to get a higher quality image.edited space shuttle01

I proceeded to edit the photo in Lightroom until it the familiar aspects of it were removed and it was reduced to its most basic form. I also darken the transparent cover to reduce the reflection and make it look like some dark void instead. I would the look I created was inspired by the space shuttle found during the docking scene in Interstellar and the spaceship found in 2001: A Space Odyssey. Actually, Interstellar was inspired by 2001 so yeah…okay nvm…Anyway, the circular cover of the washing machine reminded me of these ring shaped space shuttles.

docking scene

The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences will take audiences on a special behind-the-scenes journey into the making of Ò2001: A Space OdysseyÓ during a program hosted by special effects pioneer Douglas Trumbull and actor Tom Hanks, on Wednesday, May 21, at 8 p.m. at the Samuel Goldwyn Theater in Beverly Hills. Pictured: A scene from 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY, 1968.

HMMMM.

As for the videa attached…this is a possible intro sequence to my video. The theme for 2001: A Space Odyssey is just added in for fun haha…will probably change it to an actual recording of space for added atmosphere. So far what I plan to do is recreate the look of outer space using household objects and familiar interiors. I have been interested in outer space ever since I was a child so I thought it would be interesting to recreate it using objects and scenes familiar to me since young.

This is the shower cord. I think it could resemble a cord extended into space.

edited cord

I edited the photo and darken one side as I plan to connect it to one of the scenes is all black.

Screen Shot 2015-09-25 at 12.31.19 am

This is my brother’s back taken using the shade option under the white balance so that it looks really yellowish and strange. I feel like this could resemble the surface of some Mars-like planet.His backbone creates this nice slope effect.

Screen Shot 2015-09-25 at 12.35.01 am

Screen Shot 2015-09-25 at 12.36.07 am

I was camping in the 4D studio last week and found the ceiling with the aluminium and red bars very interesting. They had a very industrial look and I was suddenly reminded of the inside of space ships.

Screen Shot 2015-09-25 at 12.41.49 amThis is the bottom metal railing of the staircase at ADM that connects the 1st floor to the basement floor. I think it looks like something floating in space when captured under such settings.

NEXT UP!!! I’m gonna watch the full length version of Blade Runner (Yayyyy) cause Prof Vladimir suggested it and I’ve only had time to watch certain scenes of it on Youtube…so now I finally have a reason to watch it (moved up from my long to-watch list)

So the following scenes could be Blade Runner-esque with lots of cyberpunk elements or go abstract and do a 2001 with black screens…hmmm

1. Hey Charlene!

I love the video’s suspense! Haha I thought it was supposed to be a camera at first (cause I watched the video first and read the post afterwards). But after seeing all your other photos I think when put together it would be a nice spaceship-y feeling instead of a camera-y feeling 🙂 Perhaps it’s cause it looks like a camera lens? I felt a little uncomfortable watching it cause with the zooming in I felt like the circle was “looking” at me and I was like ‘Oh god no’, but it was really cool at the same time, felt like a legit title sequence haha. Looking forward to more stuff from you! HEHE

2. CHARLENE I CANNOT EVEN

I kid you not I laughed so hard at this I started crying that now I’m still trying to stop the tears from flowing down my face

I’M NOT LAUGHING COS IT WAS BAD THE FILMING IS AMAZING- the initial zoom was a little shaky but THE EDITS ARE GREAT IT REALLY LOOKS LIKE A WINDOW OF A SPACE SHUTTLE

BUT OH MY GOD THE SOUNDTRACK I STARTED CRYING AND LAUGHING AT THE SOUNDTRACK BECAUSE IT FIT SO WELL AND WHEN YOU ZOOMED IN TO MATCH THE TRUMPET I CRIED SO HARD I ALMOST FELL OFF THE CHAIR

I AM LOOKING FORWARD TO THIS SO MUCH YOU HAVE NO IDEA (But prepare yourself for potential tears)

3. Ohhh your photo is amazing!! The lightning and contrast and the feature image really looks like a movie poster! Hahaha and you are so imaginative in using ordinary stuffs to create outer space journey! The video works well with the BGM omg hahaha!! Will you maybe having some narrations for the video? How will you be connecting all these interesting objects into journey? HAHA looking forward to it! : )

4. Wow. That is a really nice shot of a washing machine. Haha. Beautifully shot and well framed. Can’t wait to see the finished work.

5. This is epic, man.
    HAHAh i luurve it.

1) Excellent cinematography
    2) Epic music (was it meant to be this humorous, if it is you DID it man)
    3) initially i thought this was another reference clip but wow, it is smth you filmed. the bars have been set too high thanks to thee

noticed that you mentioned this was merely an intro . . . so . . . can’t wait to see the actual thing. its too early to comment on anything else. so far, this is smth i have no actual criticism for. perfection, charlene