Individual Process Development Posts:
Videos for reference:
I built my sketch models based off prior research about an ant’s movement, where they walk with alternating legs.
Thorax of an ant with all 6 legs.
The downside to this mechanism is that both sides of the wire have to be pulled in opposite directions at the same time in order for all the legs to move in sync. As seen in the gif, only three legs move when one side is pulled.
Thorax of an ant with 4 legs.
Here I focused on four moving legs, because in a relationship with an aphid, the ant would be carrying the aphid with its two front legs and walking on only four legs.
This sketch model comes with a much better mechanism, where the twist of the disc in the centre makes movement in all the legs.
Thinking ahead in coming up with a model with the aphid, Nok Wan and I wonder if we are able to incorporate even more aspects of their relationship, other than just the carrying, as there would not be any movement from the aphid.
From Nok’s aphid research, we found that the aphid free falls from plants whenever danger approaches, and we also found that ants help to ‘milk’ aphids, stroking them to produce honeydew. Hence, we wonder if we could incorporate a sort of system where the aphid falls into the ant’s “arms”, where there can then be some sort of scent or interesting sight produced. Potential ideas include using bath bombs and vitamin C tablets.
Click here to view the process (and other orthogonal drawings) of Pandora Revisited
Revisiting the Pandora’s Box, the three keywords that I received to put together in a module were: Pack, Extrude and Skew. In this post you will find the process of the making of the final ice tray using repeated moulds of the same module.
In this module, all three keywords were explored within one singular module.
Here, I played around with the keyword ‘pack’, where the form comes true not within a singular module but only when repeated. The extruding segment of the module will be able to fit into the gap of the other end when the modules are replicated.
However, the ‘skewed’ idea for this module seemed to portray the word ‘split’ more, hence I decided to modify the module into…
This is my last and final selected module to form an ice tray. I decided to skew only one portion of the form to prevent the blend of keywords, and finally decided on this module instead of the first one as the idea of exploring ‘pack’ within several modules rather than one seemed more interesting.
Final ice tray orthogonal/isometric view:
Latex Mould/ Plaster Cast
I had initially made a latex mould of the final module made by a less-packed foam (dark blue), which then resulted in a mould that was uneven/textured and therefore gave me ‘bad’ plaster moulds. I hence decided to just duplicate the modules by foam, since it is also all angular and therefore ‘easy’ to duplicate.
Here are 18 duplicates, for me to get an idea of how the ice tray would look like in the end, after which I cut down the number of modules due to the lack of silicone:
Making the ice tray:
I had run a few layers of latex over the modules to cover up the holes, to prevent the silicone from seeping through them. I then stuck the moulds down with UHU Por.
After leaving the mould to dry for 9 days:
Unfortunately, the silicone failed to dry around the foam, perhaps due to the latex coat or the uneven mix of silicon.
After removing the modules, I let the silicone dry again before I started casting the actual ice!
The repetition of the modules seem to mimic what seems like a dragon’s back scale pattern, or a row of sharks’ fins peeping out from the water should there be a melted puddle around.
The side view of the triangles packed together seem to form a ‘jaw-like’ clench, the triangles being the teeth.
While the sides are fully packed, an interesting void is created in the centre of the entire arrangement when viewed from the front/back.