Museum Field Trip

Ok, so we went to the museum on the reunion dinner day of CNY. LOL.

I didn’t read up on the exhibition and I just went cause I prefer to be surprised! Not because I didn’t prepare! These photos were taken by Vimal (my classmate from surface design) cause I lost all my photos when my phone spoiled a week after the trip… :'( Thank you and all the credits to him!!!

Everything in that little exhibition caught my eye. The textiles, prints brought me back to some time like my mother’s era. I found the little videos they included in the exhibition so fascinating. As they interviewed some people and talked about skirt length and bikinis, something I never thought people of the “olden days” would be open about. The prints were vibrant and the clashing colours really stand out to me. The effort on the little details is what really got to me. The tiny beads on the shoes and knitted-wear, the embroidery and the miniature combs and stuff. I was very inspired by the beading. In fact, It reminded me of one of my favourite embroidery artist Teresa Lim.

This is one of my inspiration for my surface design theme: monsters. The little details will help to add textures and colors and reflective surfaces onto my designs which will give the monsters I create more character and dimension.

Author: Diane Lim

ADM | 21 | @common_err (Instagram)