Melting plastics IS SO FUN AND ADDICTIVE

Things you need:

1. Plastic bags / thin plastics
  2. Baking Paper
  3. Iron

Ok. Before I get down to this project, can I just say I never knew melting plastics can be sooooo much fun!!! HAHA Here’s what I made after I gain the new skill. Oh, for those we don’t know how this is done, basically you just fuse the plastics together underneath a sheet of baking paper.

Fused to super thin tranparent plastics together and I left some strings and thingamabobs inbetween the plastics to create more textures.

Here’s where the fun begins, I made this egg pouch in collaboration with Vanessa, and we even came up with a company name called “Refuse” And I think I am going to make a backpack using just plastics for finals! 🙂

From here on, I experimented with different textures like drawing on the plastic and trying to create a shrink plastic effect…

Fusing plastic together to create patterns.

REFLECTION:

This technique was the most addictive one of them all! (still not sure if it was because of the fumes or what) I found this technique to have endless possibilities and it was very environmentally friendly, we could use the old plastic bags and give them new life. Such as this! A babies bib that the child will definitely outgrow very quickly, what is the point of spending money to buy when you can

Such as this! A babies bib that the child will definitely outgrow very quickly, what is the point of spending money to buy when you can diy it yourself at home???

FINAL SAMPLE:

What I did was to experiment with the technique to make my circle bag for finals. I wanted to use plastic fusing as a cheap alternative to be as a test piece or a guide for my final piece. It actually turned out pretty nicely!

Author: Diane Lim

ADM | 21 | @common_err (Instagram)