Media Art Nexus / Experimenting with macro

I’ve more or less settled on the concept for my project, which is an experimental film about change. It is human nature to be unreceptive to change, but sometimes the chaos that it creates can be beautiful in its own way. This message will be represented by objects melting, solidifying, etc (solid – liquid – gas).

I’m still in the process of working out a sequence of shots that can bring across the idea, but in the meantime, I experimented with some photo and video timelapses just to get a feel of how the film could look. I borrowed a friend’s zoom lens (Sigma 18-200mm Macro) to shoot these timelapses.

EGG

img_6842

img_6844

I fried an egg on a pan and let it cook naturally. I like the plastic-y look it has as it is solidifying. Slightly uncomfortable from watching it but looks kinda fascinating too.

ICE CUBES

img_6846

img_6847

I experimented with coloured ice cubes in vegetable oil. They produced interesting effects, but the mixture of the ice cubes and the oil created a weird film covering the ice cubes, preventing them from melting all the way.

MILK + COCOA

I heated milk in a pan and added cocoa powder. I really like how the milked bubbled up, but I’ll have to play around with colour saturation because it looks quite dull currently.

Notes from consult:

• Ina told me to check out colour field painting, which involves highly simplified compositions with large sweeps of solid colours. It’s a style I’ll research more about, might help with the melting ice cubes.
  • The shots need to be dramatic so it doesn’t get boring. (storyboarding + planning of compositions need to be done!)
  • Consider mirroring the video to cope with the 3840 x 480 aspect ratio.

Published by

Debbie Ng

Head in the clouds 90% of the time

One thought on “Media Art Nexus / Experimenting with macro”

1. it is quite fun to see high end camera on the stove and in the kitchen! hope all is well with your equipment..you might need some more editing- and deciding how much you want the audience to recognie  that it is “cooking”,  melting…etc. Right now the ice cubes are the strongest