Foundation 2D Project 2 – Point Of View – Progress Pt2

Week 8 – 10 March 2016

Hello! ^^

This coming Thursday is the submission for Project 2!
Looking forward to the critique session!
Today entry focus on my project progress and development.

Part 1: Initial Concept

Initially, I wanted to compose my compositions in a form of a narrative.
However, things did not go smoothly as I had trouble piecing the individual compositions together.
Nevertheless, allow me to share my initial concept.

As similar to my previous ‘Ego’ project, I created a character to represent me in the story.

003001

I also tried cartoonize myself by using an application via Google Play.
With reference to Andy Warhol’s pop art, I extract my features that allow people to identify me even as a cartoon.

Part 2: Initial Narrative Sequence

My initial concept of a narrative tell my life as a NTU Student.
See below for the flow of events;
P1010306
Basically, the story starts from ‘Winning the Ntu Star Wars’ and end with ‘Finger Licking Good’.
The story flow in a circular motion – From Classes to Recess week to Semester Break.
Each sequence is represented by a statement respectively.

Text

For example, the image [Above left] depict a ‘race’ between NTU students for their module of choice.
At the background, there are iconic infrastructures of NTU such as The Hive and ADM building. This are a few of the buildings that help us to identify the location. My plan to represent myself in the image does not really convey the intended message.
As gathered during the group consultation, the image seems to be too confusing and is too dull to capture attention from the viewer. In addition, my plan to incorporate ‘Fingerprints’  for this composition make it even confusing without any focus point.
Hence, I rejected the idea.

A good example of ‘Unclear’ would be the image on the right.
‘Finger from the POV of an ant is a Missile’ – The use of ‘finger’ in this composition was unclear due to several reasons such as the colour, shape etc.
I was recommended to use the ‘Finger’ as what it is suppose to be; play with skin colours, so that at one glance my viewers will be able to interpret and identify that as a finger.
Hence, reducing ‘Noise’.

Part 3: Take away from Group Consultation 

Many thanks to the contribution around the table; Miss Joy, Shannen, Renee and Daniel.
I greatly appreciated it!

As mention in the consultation, I intend to fabricate my compositions in a black and white manga style way.
The idea does not really bring out the story and I am suggested to concentrate on ‘Surrealism’ instead.
This is due to ‘Too much happening’ in my overall composition.
The use of different mediums made the overall feel disoriented and messy.

My follow up for this project is to bring my primary focus on ‘Product Design’ and ‘Surrealism’ as an secondary focus.

Time to sell some products!
Thank you for reading and looking forward to critique this Thursday! laughing