Hello. my name is hengtong.

Hello. 2D II began with the class activity of Hello name cards.

We were given a blank piece of paper to ideate, and subsequently consulted Professor Joy who further developed the ideas.

Typography . Abstract . Conceptual

THISISHT. is a nickname I entitle my virtual self. An ironic play on a not-so-clean phrase such that people often do double takes to realise. I played on the idea of an illusion of mirror imaging.

type_scan2

cards_ty

Typography . Abstract . Conceptual

Drawing and sketching isn’t my forte. I prefer to use found objects to aid in my works. Often, an element of surprise exists as you don’t know what to expect when using such mediums.

I made use of tapes to construct the letters ‘h’ and ’t’, of the initials of my given name. I then coloured the blank spaces with colours. This idea reminded me of the ‘De Stij’ art movement. Mainly the painting ‘Composition C’ by Pier Mondroin.

composition-c

While taking out the tape from the card after colouring, the tears from the sticky tape onto the paper creates the surprise element such that the final  outcome cannot be replicated.

type_scan3

cards_ab

Typography . Abstract . Conceptual

Initially I planned on using flora and fauna to create a total random outcome. I further developed into zooming into the cells of the plants and found some really interesting findings.

I found the size and placement of the cells forming an illusion of letter really interesting. Through some ideation I derived at my final outcome of rearranging the cells to form the letters ‘ht’, the initials of my given name.

type_scan1

cards_con

cardss

End.

Author: Heng Tong Foo

in pursuit of happiness.