This project kicked off from a very simple idea. The progression to the final out was really gruelling but worthwhile. I decide to make use of my first assignment due to the fact that this is the last assignment for 2d, and I felt it would be a viable end to 2D.
I did an additional of 2 Zines, purely as a justification to myself since I did really badly for my final 2D assignment last semester. However this does sprout some unwanted problems as I am unable to justify any other reasons for that decision. A possible outcome is to pick certain emotions that complements a certain personality, for instance “introvert” or “extrovert”; and this can further sprout new ideas of binding methods to fit each theme.
Overall, I am really satisfied with the outcome. Many thanks to my fellow peers and Professor Joy for a fun-filled semester of 2D.
For this project, I chose to focus on just one out of my previous projects.
I decided to base my Zine on the very first 2D assignment, of which I made use of flora and fauna to expressed 18 different emotions. The spontaneous outcomes that came out were really interesting and I wanted to make use of the ‘windows’ of artwork in my Zine. Therefore, my Zine will consist of a compilation of the work. Also, as this is the final project for 2D, I feel that it would be cool to end off 2D with my first project assignment.
However, I wanted more of a motive of the usage of ‘windows’, and I finalised the idea of making my Zine to be a bookmark. This way, I am able to justify the use of each ‘window’ thus add more layer to my Zine.
For the concept, I decided to work using a minimalistic approach.
I referenced exhibition catalogues and graphic books where the use of words are minimised and the images enlarged.
For my initial composition, I scanned all my artworks and enhanced the details through photoshop. I then created each artwork to be flushed to one side of the page and with the title and 2 lines to explain the individual designs.
I planned to create each artworks as a bookmark, to be able to be torn away from the page through perforated lines. From the initial idea, I realised that the artworks are flushed in the wrong direction, to the side to be bound into a book.
I redid the compositions and derived with my first mock-up of the zine.
The mock-up was printed on 300gsm high gloss paper. There were a lot of issues to be addressed from the mock-up. Alignment issues and font size issues can be seen only after printing out the physical copy. Also, the holes to be bounded were too small.
Got a lot of ideas from Prof and my peers on how to improve my model.
* Use of textured paper <thanks Amy!>
* Extend the life of the zine, as perforated bookmarks will eventually leave the zine empty <thanks Darren!>
* Looping of cord at the top can hang the book <thanks Professor!>
After consolidating the feedbacks, I look to extending the shelf life of the Zine, thus I scrapped the idea of tearing the bookmark from the page through perforated lines. Instead, I went with the idea of slotting pockets to contain the bookmarks. This way, the shelf life of the zine is extended.
To counter the alignment issues, I paid careful details while reformatting the zine pages on Illustrator.
Other issues that were previously unknown to me were pointed out by Professor.
I developed the bookmark idea from to be teared by perforated lines to the use of an additional pocket. This way the lifespan of the Zine is extended. Also, the zine is printed in textured paperas suggested by my peer.
Printing and consolidating the Zines
Addition of an extra flap to be folded into a pocket to contain the bookmark sounds feasible, but due to the thickness of the paper of 300GSM, the fold made the page really imbalanced in thickness.
Thus, I reprinted the pockets in 120GSM paper, so it doesn’t interfere with the thickness of the individual page, at the same time retaining the durability of the pocket.
the slight bump on the page compiled with the textured paper will induce the user to feel the artwork and then find the bookmark hidden within the pocket.
For my binding, I decided to use cords to be stringed through in ring-bound format.
Jute cord intertwining the punched holes as vines.
At the top of the bind is an additional loop of poacher’s knot enabling the zine to be hung. A purely decorative feature that is coherent to the organic theme as “fruits hung on tree”.