FINAL PROCESS AND OUTCOME

I’M INDONESIAN

After having the concept nailed, I immediately start working. At first it was just sketching on paper which I will redo on Photoshop using my tablet. But then I realized it was taking a lot of time for me to sketch. After the third day I was tired of counting the hours I spent with one of the typography. Then my good friend Joyce, who is also in the same class as me, suggested to scan the design and clean it in Photoshop. It was a great advice! This is the scanned design. Imagine how many hours it would take to redraw this again on Photoshop.

3

I up the contrast and eliminated the white background. Then I layered a yellowish gold cloth. I use the clipping mask option so that the line work I did would have the same texture as the cloth. After that I added a navy blue clothe as background. I think it contrasts really well with the yellow-ish gold. In the process of it I edited the colors a lot. Tweaking here and there until I got what I was looking for.

Here is the final look!

Screenshot_2016-02-18-00-45-49

I’M DILIGENT

With this one I took up que from the Im Indonesian design. I drew the design first in black and white and scanned it into the computer. Afterwards I added the colors and background in Photoshop.

2

I drew a honeycomb with the honey dripping and added a bee to represent me the diligent hard worker.

In Photoshop I colored in the honeycomb one by one. What a pain it was. There we so many.

Screenshot_2016-02-18-01-14-47

In the end I used a blue background, because it complements the orange and yellow hues that my typography has.

I’M A TRANSLATOR

With this one I used Photoshop completely.

First I though of words to create the letter.

I was listening to some English songs such as Taylor Swifts “Bad Blood” and Justin Biebers “Sorry”. So some of the words ended up being use in the letter. (LOL)

After finishing the G, I moved on to the L which contains the Indonesian words. So I just translated some of the words in G and added some in.

Added a notepad background to finish the look.

Screenshot_2016-02-18-01-14-23

However I wasn’t satisfied. It was too straight. So I tilted the words a bit and crop them. The diagonal angle made the composition more interesting.

I’M A NIGHT OWL

I drew the owls on paper first, just like the “I’m Indonesian” and “I’m Diligent” typography. I finally decided to warp my owls into letters to spell out my name. Like the others that I had to design first on paper, this one was a labor of love. Those feathers took a long time!

1

After scanning them, I opened Photoshop. The look that I wanted to achieve was it to look like paper cut outs, in fact this my initial idea after finishing the design. It was just that my design was very intricate, I knew it would take a long time to create and a great amount of patience to accomplish it nicely (which unfortunately I do not have)

Screenshot_2016-02-18-01-14-42

In the end I added a colorful background of blue and pink to represent the breaking of dawn. This is because I’m usually awake till 3 in the morning which in my country we can usually see the sun rising. Its different in Singapore. Its still dark even at 6.

So guys, those are the four characters that represents me. Personally my favorite would be the first one, “I’m Indonesian”. I’m very proud of my country and its culture. Being in another country made me more appreciate my homeland even more.

See you in the next post!