DIVING TO STORYBOOKS

I knew I wanted to do all of it by hand. I wanted for each to have different “storybook” style. I took a lot of inspiration of storybook illustrator such as John Tenniel (Alice in Wonderland), Lisbeth Zwerger, Ralph Steadman, Jules Feiffer (The Phantom Tollbooth), Quentin Blake (Matilda) and Maurice Sendak (Where the Wild Things Are).

John-Tenniel-alice-in-wonderland-01

John Tenniel’s illustration of Alice and the Mad Hatter
Alice in Wonderland 015898

Ralph Steadman’s illustration of the White Rabb

itphantom-tollbooth-2

Jules Feiffer’s illustration of The Phantom Tollbooth

For each of the sentences I did a couple of thumbnails and showed them to Shirley. I wanted to  have a couple options that I can chose from.

A RABBIT FROM THE POINT OF VIEW OF ALICE IS CURIOUS

As I had mentioned I had wanted to do something that is related to Alice in Wonderland, so I had the initial design that I wanted to portray Alice and the White Rabbit. I eventually got two illustrations.

1. Alice surrounded with dozens of white rabbits with the real White Rabbit looking from a far.

This illustrates Alice after her adventures in Wonderland. She is looking for the true White Rabbit amongst all of the white rabbits, because to her the White Rabbit is portal back to Wonderland.

20160315_000318

1. Alice curiously observing a white rabbit.

Perhaps she is reminded by her wonderful misadventures in Wonderland and the rabbit is just bewildered by her staring.

20160315_000322

A RABBIT FROM THE POINT OF VIEW OF THE RED QUEEN IS A SERVANT

Like the one with Alice I knew what I wanted to draw. Like Alice I drew 2 illustrations:

1. The Red Queen looking down at the White Rabbit.

As the White Rabbit looked up with an intimidated face, the Red Queen stared down at him as if he had done something bad.

20160315_000311

1. The Red Queen is on her thrones and is being carried by the White Rabbit.

20160315_000314

This really spells out torture for the poor White Rabbit. He is carrying the heavy queen and her throne while she looks sinisterly happy with his sufferings. Truly such and evil queen!

A RABBIT FROM THE POINT OF VIEW OF A CARROT IS THE END

At first I wanted to show a life cycle of a carrot: from a seed to a full mature carrot.

1. The first one is a linear life cycle from left to the right20160315_000257
  2. Then the next one if a circular life cycle20160315_000259
  3. Then Shirley suggested me to just draw a carrot top. This really shows the final moments of the carrot as us the viewer is regarded as the rabbit.20160315_000303

A RABBIT FROM THE POINT OF VIEW OF A RECKLESS DRIVER IS ROAD KILL

I had separate illustration to show that the rabbit has been run over by a car:

1. The rabbits are left to die after a car which is seen from a far distant had ran over them. The rabbits seem have become zombies and trying to regain strength to chase the reckless driver.20160315_000213
  2. This one involves a bit of symbolism. The rabbit’s body part is separated and at the middle which is supposed to be the torso and stomach is replaced by the “beware of animals crossing” sign.20160315_000221
  3. The third one was a bit obscured but I wanted to draw a rabbit having been ran over, still a live looking at the viewer an pointing his finger to the track marks on his stomach. I find that this concept is hilarious. It shows a bit of sarcasms as well.

20160315_000223

A RABBIT FROM THE POINT OF VIEW OF CHINESE ZODIAC IS THE FOURTH

1. I wanted to show the finish line because one of the legends of the Chinese Zodiac is that the order of the 12 animals is based on a race. I just wanted to show until the fifth, because I felt that having all twelve animals would overwhelm the composition and will not focus the rabbit.20160315_000243
  2. The second one I wanted to show a wheel of the Chinese Zodiac. It is after all a cycle20160315_000249
  3. Relating back to the first illustration, I decided to use a podium. And put the animals according to their position. But again I’m limiting the number of animals present in the composition so the rabbit would be the main focus.20160315_00025220160315_000203

A RABBIT FROM THE POINT OF VIEW OF THE SUPERSTITIOUS IS LUCKY

This one I had so many problems solving.

1. At first I drew a rabbit foot being grabbed by a hand whilst it is still attached to the rabbit.20160315_000226
  2. Then I drew a rabbit with his leg amputated and he seems to be selling it as many hands are offering him money20160315_000233
  3. Finally after consulting Shirley I drew a rabbit’s feet holding a royal flush in a poker table.20160315_000047