Typographic portraits

Brief: To use typography as an image to express 6 unique characteristics of myself.

Ideation!
IMAG6305
A whole bunch of crazy ideas whittled down to six:

I am a –
#1. Sandwich Chomper
#2. Pattern
#3. Paper Cutter
#4. Bonsai Plant
#5. Closet crazy dancer
#6. Chinese

#1. Sandwich chomper

Because I love sandwiches! If I could only chose one thing to eat for the rest of my life it would be sandwiches.

Inspiration:
46767f1a054b6fe0a190477ffa7abbb1 99f2af4836b946fbddf385faa64ef482

mcdonalds-reservation-1

steak-and-egg-5w21

Process: I decided to make the sandwiches and photograph them before doing some editing on Photoshop. My digital imaging skills are really poor to say the least so I wasn’t sure how this would turn out.

I created a frame of common ingredients hoping that it would create a complimentary border for the image.

I tried biting the pieces of bread to form the alphabets but it wasn’t distinct enough so I used a knife to carve instead.

IMG_0680-min

Screen Shot 2016-02-17 at 1.41.57 am

It didn’t look as nice as I expected it to be, the vegetables were as big as the sandwiches… turns out I ought to have photographed the background at a much higher angle. Oh well, change of plans then!

Final:
IMAG6267

IMAG6268

I replaced the background with a neutral wooden background and used a patterned paper to frame it for a picnic-y feel. Increased the saturation for a vibrant finish, and the shadow for a 3D effect.

#2. Pattern

We are all patterns forming patterns. I chose embroidery to express this as there are so many possibilities to create.

Inspiration:
Screen Shot 2016-01-18 at 7.56.42 pm

Process:
IMAG6068

Initially I wanted to do a different pattern for every row, however taking into consideration the principles of design, it made more sense to limit the patterns to increase the clarity of the text.

I distressed the edges to give it a rougher/raw finish.

FinalIMAG6264

IMAG6266

#3. Paper cutter

I love to craft, and paper is my choice medium. I was inspired by a mowed lawn, and thought that it could represent my idea quite clearly in an amusing way.

Inspiration:Lawn-stripey-1mg1 green-grass-tissue-mats-bx-72332 download

*I wanted to add a little tractor to complete the piece but it was difficult to make one on such a tiny scale :(*

Process:IMAG6019

IMAG6061

It was very time consuming to fringe the tissue and stick it layer by layer to create a lush, thick grass patch; leaving the negative spaces to form the text.

Final:IMAG6270

IMAG6272

#4. Bonsai plant

I chose a bonsai because they need lots of tending and pruning to ensure that they grow in a certain way. It may be restrictive, but the end product is beautiful. Kind of like this verse in the bible

“He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful.” John 15:2

I hope at the end of it, my life would be one that is well pruned and beautiful.

Inspiration:5af64d614b3a164094f89a12c7adad3b

flocked_wire_bonsai_tree_on_rock_by_ken_to_by_kentoart-d9e1tkq

Process:

IMAG5996

I made the pots out of jumping clay, which is lightweight and moulded it around various objects.
IMG_20160126_213623
The grass was made out of scrubbing sponge and the bonsai plant, bent wire and fake moss.

Final:IMAG6289

IMAG6293

The ledge is made out of a strip of balsa wood.

#5. Crazy closet dancer

I’m a really awkward dancer, with three left feet. But sometimes I go a bit crazy when I’m at home with my sister.

Inspiration:

I wanted to employ this old cinematography technique ombro cinema which causes still images to move. I liked the fact that the movement was jittery and jumpy, just like how I dance.

Process:
Screen Shot 2016-02-17 at 2.51.04 am
Screen Shot 2016-02-17 at 2.50.53 am

FinalIMAG6275

#6. Chinese

I wanted to include this as even though I have a sub-par comprehension of my mother tongue, I am proud of my Chinese heritage. I used the most iconic blue and white porcelain rice bowl and rice grains as symbols.

Process:
IMAG6070

IMG_20160203_000012

Dyed the rice with food colouring and vinegar. Also, I found out that glutinous rice is extra white haha I never knew.

Final:
IMAG6276

IMAG6277

I framed it with rice paper attached to wooden dowels to create an impression of a Chinese scroll. I feel that the finish could have been better as the white glue caused the paper to warp, creating unsightly bumps.

Published by

Grace

Birds are scary.