Assignment 3 – EGO

Final EquationsProject 3 Layout

With 3D relief

Project 3 Layout

References

Surrealism

I looked mainly into surrealism and also some artists for their works. The surrealism artists I looked at were mainly Vladimir Kush and Rene Magritte. I also looked at surrealist photographers like Christian Hopkins. I liked how they juxtaposed things, make the expected unexpected.

Dali S1 1354172394-0579326-www.nevsepic.com.ua tumblr_m2kj31xGKk1qhttpto1_1280 rose_awaiting__17012.1314074806.1280.1280 tumblr_m97ng5iVcP1qbfngpo1_1280 fallen-angel

Art

I also looked at contemporary art like Francis Bacon, and cubism from Picasso.

Francis-Bacon-Three-Studies-for-Self-Portrait1976

pablo-picasso-weeping-woman

Illustration

Anita Maslov was my main inspiration for illustration. I was very intrigued by her dark style and intricate drawings.

tumblr_m480w5d4ai1qzkweeo1_1280 tumblr_mbtj9zw7Hm1qzkweeo1_1280  tumblrmhocgdswjrxfyo-13906462814k8gn

Process

Mind map of the idea generation, finding out what qualities were unique to me.

Example of process – Overthinking

IMG_1742 IMG_1752

Cubism – Test of fragmentation, composition and color

Final Works

ADHD

cubismfinal copy

Always known as the hyperactive one, and often said to have Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD).

Used Cubism art and fragmentation to give the emphasis on the lack of concentration, and disruption. Colour discord was intentionally used to give a clashing feel.

Reference – Cubism art, Picasso

cubist-portrait

Food

food Food is integral to my life, I am one who constantly thinks of food. Thus, I used this picture with the pondering look in my eyes and made the hair illustration elevating upwards to give the feel of thought. My idea around this was to make my hair made out of food. I referenced the mixed media style, photo collage with watercolour illustration. Colour theory used was split complementary.

Reference

healthy-food-for-hair Gabriel_Moreno_Illustration_Iris

Me

meat2

Morphing both the ideas of Food and ADHD, I decided to incorporate food in the portrait (after all, we are made of meat!) and warp the picture to infuse the fragmentation/distortion idea. I was very interested as to how Francis Bacon painted his portraits, warped and almost disfiguring. Colour theory used here was analogous.

Reference – Francis  Bacon

Positivity

positive

I focused on surrealism and symbolism in this work. I looked into an oriental symbol of positivity, prosperity and good fortune – Koi fish. I morphed the koi fish together with the girl and her dress. I referenced Christian Hopkins surrealism photography, to capture the spiritual essence, an ethereal quality to the work.

koi-02

References – Christian Hopkins

11911912965_7767ce35d2

Overthinkingoverthinking

I was inspired by the dark, detailed illustrative style. I drew this out in marker, scanned it and painted colour over. I used motifs that could best represent such negativity – skulls of raven (birds that are not associated with good fortune), dried brain coral, black feathers, bones. Roots were used to show how negativity has already latched onto me, deeply rooted.

References – Anita Maslov

tumblr_mbtj9zw7Hm1qzkweeo1_1280

Better Me       IMG_1745 (1)IMG_1746

I drew a withering skull, to suggest it fading away. The skull represents all negativity and death, but once removed it reveals brightness and colour. This shows that once the negativity is removed (also using a pivot for interactive purposes), it reveals the positivity.

Individualistic 

individualist

The cat family has always been known for their lone, individualistic behaviour. Thus, I decided to use the feline family as a representation. I referenced heavily to Golconda for this work, the emphasis on common man with the lack of identity. I juxtaposed with the cat individual, someone different and apart from the common man. Complementary color was used here.

References – Rene Magritte’s ‘Golconda’

tumblr_m97ng5iVcP1qbfngpo1_1280

Resilience 

resiliece

The concept behind this work was that no matter how heavy the rock and how its weight increases with water, the taut rope will not break despite struggling (evident from the fraying). Thus this represents resilience. Once again, surrealism was the main inspiration.

References – Rene Magritte’s ‘Clear Ideas’

clear-ideas-1958(1)

Ideal me

idealme

The blooming, luminous flower that cannot be reached by the dark hands. The hands represent negative influences, trying to drag the flower down but are failing. The ideal state is where the flower cannot be touched like the picture. Surrealism artist Vladimir Kush was referenced, regarding the use of the flower in his art and the scale.

References – Vladimir Kush

tumblr_m2kj31xGKk1qhttpto1_1280

Think out of box 

Cover

thinkoutofbox

3D card

The idea behind this was to think, literally out of the box. The cover had the strips representing the lines inside the card. Once the card is opened, it is as if the strips come out of the box. like thinking out of the box.

References

Paper pop-up art

d9839aad4f790a77e731546b56950687

Dreamer

birdThe paper pieces turning into the birds represent the manifestation of ideas/thoughts from thought to reality. Surrealism was referenced to once again, give a fantastical feeling to the work and create impossible situations that make the work more interesting. This represents transformation from dreams to reality, birds were used as symbols of flight and hope – thus ambitious dreams that come true.

Me in 5 Years

mein5years

Combining both of the ideas of the birds as the realisation of dreams and light bulb as ideas, I decided to approach a surrealist style to this work too. The light bulb is like the idea generator and the birds are flying out of my head, once again literally out of the “box”.

References

2d355bc5a266aa8e21f70b7ed5771dbb

Reflection

This assignment was very introspective and fun, allowing us to think what aspects of ourselves we would like to show. The challenge was coming up with visual ideas that would intrigue others and convey the idea well. It was a fulfilling assignment that really helped me to push myself in thinking creative ideas to communicate.