So after discussing with Peter, he suggested that I could choose either the bad or good inhibition and then critique it. I decided to go with bad inhibition:) I view the bad inhibition as a force that blocks someone to let-go, to open up about who they are and only abandoning his/her inhibition, they can then be who they really are. So, to critique this idea I decided to go with the idea
“Abandoning your inhibition and opening up is not always the best thing to do, bad emotions,feelings and character are sometimes more suitable to be kept in”
I went on to research on more different conceptual object and installation, Adding on I would also want to try to work with clay this time round:)
I wanted to make big clay head that shows a various of emotions and also with some heads having concept like they are being force or that peeling their skin off (letting go of inhibition) they are actually feeling very naked on the inside. However, I realize the clay was too hard to mold because the air dry clay dries up way too fast and I would be doing carving instead of molding in the end.
Previously, I have work with polymer clay before, and I know that polymer clay would be the best and most suitable clay to mold small and intricate details design. After trying out, I really love the effect, the clay allow me to easily mold various creepy expression and also allow me to add “contour” because of it’s slightly sticky surface. Originally, I thought that 30 heads would be enough but in total 54 heads would then create that fullness inside a acrylic ball.
Make, make, make…………….
Bake, bake, bake….
I wanted to create the idea of broken up a sturdy “inhibition” that human created for themselves and flowing out real emotions. So I crack an acrylic ball because I wanted the interior babies head to be seen and acrylic is something that is sturdy. But to explore more, I’ve tried searching online and I’ve got this and I went on to try it out:
You may click on the image, it would link you to this artist:)
But after testing I realize the wet tissue are not strong enough and it doesn’t create the rust effect I wanted to have:( Maybe because of lighting. I should have try placing portable light inside. And also this concept doesn’t allowed the interior babies head to be seen.
After showing peter, he gave me feedbacks such that the acrylic ball is too new looking. The glossy surface doesn’t seem to match the matte babies it took pretty detach. He sad maybe I could frost it ( because on part of it was frost when I tried to remove the price tag using ointment)
Going back home, I tried using different type of liquid to see which of it gave the best effect. In the end the original frost that I got from Ointment, weirdly I could not get it, reading online it says that it was because originally I have the adhesive residue left thats why it was frosted. Try, try ,try Finally! the dish washing sponge gave the best effect. Unlike sandpaper, even with the most smooth sandpaper it would still create a very rough and scratchy lines on the ball. But dish washing sponge gave a very natural frosted effect with no lines!
My sister also love to create fake blood for her scars drama effect. So I started having the idea of changing the ball to a mother’s womb. Since womb have always been the protective cover for babies, fitting into the force inhibition cover.