3D-(Final Assignment) Modular Construction-FINAL-“ZHAR BO” (2)

Final Work from Hui Min and Rachel(I)

For the final project, We created a lamp Shade called “ZHAR BO” presentation1

It is a combination of :


What we Pick Out From our Models:

  • Materials and Softness in Hui Mins Model
  • My Model Spiral Pattern/arrangement
  • The idea of one spiral is one whole strip
  • The idea of combining hardness(the color strips on Hui Min model) and softness(Bottom of Hui Mins Model)

We started off with research, sketches and getting materials, followed by discovering the mystery store room inside the workshop. -.-“

And all the materials we wanted is inside the room. Anyway,


We come into a agreement to used wire as our lamp skeleton and to just have two round rings on the top and bottom. So that we could play around with the pattern from the top to connecting to the bottom.

Our initial skeleton was a middle rod in the middle to connect the two ring, then we realized the light bulb problem, then we change to connect the two ring with three rods and the side, but we felt it being too consistence. Finally, we change it to one bigger ring on top and one smaller ring on the problem. 

When thinking about material cotton led us to the thought of gauze and the colored wire on Hui Mins model led us to Fiber Optic. As well as having a less rigid material like the wire mesh so that we could explore on the romanesco model spiral pattern.


Work Work Work Work Work…..


Test Test Test Test Test…..





We wanted to create a hanging lamp with a soft shadow that is not so glaring. And also both of us really love the little shadow that is instead reflected on the gauze. We uses the little flowery buds of gauze we created and align them in a spiral pattern on the metal mesh. Then attach the metal mesh in a spiral alignment onto the two ring on the top and bottom. Using the fiber optic on the side, it gives a contrast of hardness in compared to the softness the the gauze gives out:)


LASTLY, THANK YOU PEEPO AND PETER:) !!! All the fun and laughter we have in class and all the rubbish talk we have, and the amazing field-trip and extra art History Lesson!!!! I SO GONNA MISS THIS CLASS!!!:(







3D-(Final Assignment) “Modular Construction” (1)

As part of our Final Assignment we had to find SEM (Scanning Electron Microscope) for a certain object. And for me I choose Romanesco Broccoli:)


Romanesco Broccoli have 2 type of pattern in total:




The Whole:

Form by repetitive Spiral Pattern


The Little Individual Buds:

Form by repetitive Spiral Pattern

Natural Fractal 


Natural Phenomenon

Repeating pattern

expanding symmetry or evolving symmetry

Natural Fractal (Self Similar)



Replica exactly the same- Self-Similar

 SEM (Scanning Electron Microscope)



This would be the two main pattern I would focus on:)

Starting our model making

Before going into model making I first started out with some research. My original idea was to make use of geometry shapes to craft out the idea of fractal. Meaning from on square, spit to two, then four and so on. So I went to do some research and test to see how people make use of geometry and the term fractal to create different model and i got some results like:


My initial idea was also to use origami to craft out the pattern, I begin by doing some rough sketch of my idea, but the result didn’t turn out well because it is way too hard to control the size of the origami. Even if i reduce the paper size by alot. The shape come out would eventually look similar to the previous one:(






After discussing it in class with Peter he told me that this geomery shape is too different from romanesco. Then I realized that I was probably too focus on the term fractal and forget that I have to use the fractal patter ON ROMANESCO to do my model and not fractal in general. He also told me that first you have to understand the structure and pattern carefully and understand it first so that your could craft it our base on it. Then I told him if I could use Styrofoam cone and poke pins on it? 




img_2743 img_2744


I felt like it came out really bad, to be honest there is a limitation to the size of pins I could use. And therefore it is hard to create the little buds and intricate spiral of the romanesco:( Up till this point to be honest I was pretty worried about what more material I could used for the design. So the night before our submission while I was taking books from my sheleves I saw the bottle of silica gel! And I immediately thought Why not? It is small enough for me to create the spiral on the foam and it loos really small like the little buds!




And TADA my final:) the only part i’m not really happy is that I could probably get smaller Styrofoam of cut Styrofoam into smaller pieces so that it could filled up the empty portion and also create a more variation of unit sizes to look more like the pattern on romanesco. And also even though I’ve tried using smaller silica gel for the tip of the unite so it could have a variation of buds size but when the whole unit is done the small silica gel seems to blend in and go missing:( Nonetheless, I’ve tired and was pretty happy that I manage to use silica gel as a last minute material.

img_2799 img_2804 img_2801 img_2802





3D-(Assignment 2) “Treasure Hunting”

Last Week ( Week 2) we had to visit Kelantan thieves’ market to purchase some parts needed for our assignment 2. When we reach there we were told that the market only open at 1 plus in the afternoon. NO! honestly it was quite disappointing as I’ve never been to a thieves’ market before. In the end we had to look for our materials at the shop opposite the thieves’ market.

Here’s the shop:)

IMG_1011-min IMG_1008-min