About the project
We get into randomly assigned groups of 3 – 4 people and we take turns to add layers and layers of glitch to a self portrait of ourselves. I chose to photograph my fringe which I thought best represented how people recognised me. (Warning: horror genre up ahead)
Exquisite corpse: fringe (and eyes cos melo say show eyes better so ok lor)
glitch progress: liquify / glitch wizard: melo
glitch progress: colour + hue + saturation / glitch wizard: reuben
Glitch progress: layer duplication + noise / glitch wizard: me
Glitch progress: see you in your dreams tonight. don’t turn on the tv. / glitch wizard: siqi
- Describe how this process of collective image creation and decomposition creates a glitch transformation.
- How is each transformation creating a new form of its precursor?
With each round of transformation, the original image looks less and less recognisable from the original.
From Glitch Studies Manifesto, “an interruption is made to the original image that shifts an object away from its ordinary form and discourse.”
The medium we used is Photoshop. The final outcome is unpredictable and random, yet there is some control when we are aware of the tools we use to distort the image.
- Does the first person who distort the photo have the most freedom to glitch the image?
Yes, because they start with a clean slate. But no also, because there is no limit to creativity.
- When do you know when to stop?
When we are satisfied with the aesthetic.
Readings on Glitch Practices
- How do glitch artists embrace mistakes, errors and accidents?
- How does glitch fight genres, expectations and conventions in art?
- Dirty new media
- Mixing machine language and human language
- Noise and imperfections serve the aesthetics
Glitch studies manifesto
Distortion + Noise artifacts
“Glitch has no solid form or shape through time”
Noise is – disturbance / irregular / an interruption that shifts an object away from its ordinary form and discourse / a corrupted file / destructive generativity
“The artist tries to catch something that is the result of an uncertain balance , a shifting, un-catchablem unrealized utopia connected to randomness and idyllic distintegrations.
Naturally occurring glitches vs constructed glitch
“The glitch emphasizes what is normally rejected as a flaw and subsequently shows that accidents and errors can also be welcomed as new forms of usability.”
- distortion / data manipulation / data bending
- transforms the way the audience perceives the norm
- embraces accidents
- creating a new form by destroying and distorting something
- breaking the rules and challenging what the software can do
- what if you use audacity to edit images instead of photoshop
- breaking and ripping apart the codes to reveal raw materials of the software