Project 2: The Impossibilities of Reality

There are many theories about dreams, with some experts claiming that dreams sometimes foretell or mean something that the brain subconsciously knows, or is trying to figure out. For example, dreaming about being chased comes not from the fear of actually being chased, but rather something in life we are running from. In other words, dreams are messages from the subconscious mind. I then considered something that could be affecting me, and I went with the fact that I was staying in a new environment (NTU hostel living) with an old friend and consequentially I realized there were sides of him I didn’t know prior to living with him.

The images show said friend beckoning me to follow him. Upon entering a different dimension (just like Alice following the rabbit into a hole), we spot a wild tiger whose body becomes a humanoid form. My friend runs off without waiting for me, and I get caught and imprisoned. I manage to escape and suddenly I’m chasing after my friend, only to realize that he is the tiger and he means no harm. He then guides me back into our room.

This is representational of how there are aspects of my friend I learn about, and of which I am shocked to find out, but in the end may not be something negative after all. The locations of the images are deliberately incoherent, very much like how dreams never always completely make sense and leaves the dreamer pondering. This is synced with a bizarre song choice to aid a viewer in feeling the mystery and anxiety intended.

I shot the images with a canon G10, and edited the photographs on Adobe Photoshop. Using online stock images, I edited and fitted them into the photographs.

Research:

What is photographic sequence?

Photographic sequence is the use of two or more photographs seen one after another to illustrate something, and can usually carry the intention of the photographer to a larger degree. Legendary photographer Elliott Erwitt realised that “sometimes a story is better told by more pictures rather than one”. In his photographic sequence works, photos are taken just moments apart with a sequence telling a story that is surprising, moving or simply funny.

This might be confused with Sequence photography, which is a technique of shooting a series of images in where the subject is captured in successive motion. Sequence photography is a way of conveying motion in a static image. A merged photo sequence can radically show a different perspective much more than what can be captured in a single image.

Visual Rhythm:

Rhythm, a critical component of music, dance, and poetry, is also a quality of great significance in the visual arts. Rhythm may affect the quality of the viewing experience for your audience and help to draw and keep the eye within the frame. Pattern can be thought of a subset of rhythm in that patterns always have rhythm, but rhythms don’t always have pattern. A general rhythm throughout the frame can also be used to establish an overall atmosphere or mood — the regularity of the rhythm may envelop the viewer in feelings of peace or serenity. The key is that while the rhythm can lull and guide the viewer on a journey through the frame, you usually want to offer something in the way of a visual destination, a focal point, or something that otherwise grounds the rest of the scene. Deliberately interrupting a predictable, soothing rhythm is a compelling way to introduce your subject to the audience.

Composition:

Composition is the placement or arrangement of visual elements or ingredients in a work of art, as distinct from the subject of a work. The position of the viewer can strongly influence the aesthetics of an image, even if the subject is entirely imaginary and viewed “within the mind’s eye”. Not only does it influence the elements within the picture, but it also influences the viewer’s interpretation of the subject.

For example, if a boy is photographed from above, perhaps from the eye level of an adult, he is diminished in stature. A photograph taken at the child’s level would treat him as an equal, and one taken from below could result in an impression of dominance. Therefore, the photographer is choosing the viewer’s positioning.

Taken from: http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-17295728

THE 5 CHARACTERISTICS OF DREAMS:

1. Dreams Often Feature Intense Emotions

2. Dreams Are Frequently Disorganized and Illogical

3. Strange Dream Content Is Accepted Without Question

4. People Often Experience Bizarre Sensations

5. Dreams Are Difficult to Remember

Taken from: http://psychology.about.com/od/statesofconsciousness/tp/characteristics-of-dreams.htm

Down-the-Rabbit-Hole    Screen Shot 2015-10-23 at 11.44.08 pmrooster human
cows
Screen Shot 2015-10-23 at 11.41.20 pmScreen Shot 2015-10-23 at 11.42.02 pmScreen Shot 2015-10-23 at 11.45.57 pm
 Screen Shot 2015-10-23 at 11.42.33 pm

Cages in dreams are metaphors for feeling trapped. 1. If you are in a cage, that’s just how you feel in your waking life—locked into a relationship, a job, or a situation. 2. If you see someone else in a cage, you have inadvertently put someone in a difficult situation, or you are aware of a difficult situation that you might be able to do something about. 3. An animal in a cage represents something you’ve tamed—an instinct, an impulse, a bad habit. 4.An empty cage represents your recent freedom.

Cats symbolize independence and a mysterious, hidden side. In dreams, cats represent secrets and autonomy.

Before starting with the camera, I drew out very rough storyboards to have a good idea of what I want to shoot, like so:

FullSizeRender

This was a slightly challenging project for me, as it was the first time I was using Photoshop to edit my photographs. I was also new to using a camera professionally. That being said, I felt that it was extremely good exercise to know where I stand and the many new technicalities of photoshopping and photography which I learnt because of this project, of which I am confident will be beneficial to me in upcoming projects and in the future.