Project 2: Point of View

Perspective is key. The same thing may mean very different things to different people. That’s the essence of this second project in which we were supposed to take an object and reinvent its meaning depending on whose perspective it is viewed from.

My chosen object was “Flowers”.

Initial ideas:

Screenshot (54)

In the end I decided to go with the following:

Flowers From the point of view of ________________________ are_______________________.

1. Soil // complicated drainage systems
  2. Water // taking a bath
  3. A vase // tenants
  4. Ants // means of shelter
  5. Zombies // weapons of grass destruction
  6. A grapevine // vital signs of life

For the choice of medium, I decided to use Autodesk SketchBook Pro to create a series of fun and colourful digital illustrations to represent my ideas.

SOIL // COMPLICATED DRAINAGE SYSTEMS

The initial idea for this was inspired by the way a plant’s roots were in a way, very complicated drainage systems for the plant to absorb nutrients and water from the soil. The soil is basically like a basement of a house and the roots are the all the pipes that run alongside intricate the plant’s systems of sustainability to support the flower.

Screenshot (55)Screenshot (63) Screenshot (64)

flowers-soil-complicated drainage system final
FINAL PIECE

WATER // TAKING A BATH

If two chrysanthemum flowers took a bath in a hot tub together would it make chrysanthemum tea?

Screenshot (58)
First attempt which got scraped later on.

Screenshot (59) Screenshot (60) Screenshot (61) Screenshot (62)

FINAL PIECE
FINAL PIECE

A VASE // TENANTS

Flowers need homes too. Vases make good ones because they look pretty and are usually in better locations than regular pots. Real estate is all about location, location, location and vases are like the condominiums of the floral real estate world while pots are like the regular HDB estates (not throwing shade at HDBs I actually live in one).

This particular piece was inspired by my old house in Flora Road. That stretch of road near Loyang in Pasir Ris is lined with condos that are named after flowers and in alphabetical order.

Screenshot (52)

Also, I though this was really cute.

Screenshot (53)

Screenshot (65) Screenshot (66)

FINAL PIECE
FINAL PIECE

ANTS // MEANS OF SHELTER

As a kid, I would sometimes stare at the ants outside on the ground during a rainy day and see them scrambling under flowers for shelter. I’ve always found it rather amusing.

This piece was inspired by the man in the hat that often appears in Rene Magritte’s paintings.

Magritte_The-Son-of-Man
The Son of Man by Rene Magritte

Screenshot (67) Screenshot (68)

FINAL PIECE
FINAL PIECE

ZOMBIES // WEAPONS OF GRASS DESTRUCTION

In the popular video game “Plants vs Zombies”, various types of plants, fruits and flowers come together to defeat zombies that try to invade their garden. Different plants have different abilities. Some shoot peas, others explode and some create energy for the shooters. They clearly establish themselves as weapons of grass destruction in this realm.

Screenshot (70) Screenshot (71) Screenshot (72)

FINAL PIECE
FINAL PIECE

A GRAPEVINE // VITAL SIGNS OF LIFE

So I came across this interesting piece:

Screenshot (51)

It really got me thinking. Flowers are kinda like heart rate monitors that monitor the grapevine’s health status.

Screenshot (73) Screenshot (74) Screenshot (75) Screenshot (76)

FINAL PIECE
FINAL PIECE

So yeah, that kinda wraps things up about this project. I really enjoyed the process of doing digital illustrations and this was my first time creating a series like this entirely from digital illustrations. I had an intention for the compositions to look and feel the same throughout, using the custom splatter brushes to give it more grungy looks and a style that was consistent.

final layout lower res