After the consultation with Gillian, she suggested doing backgrounds for the characters I have created to represent the millennial generation. For now, I decided to go ahead and do more motifs and some overlays just to see how my characters looked on a repeated pattern background. It was more experimental and consisted of a lot of repeating.
Here are some of the starter motifs I created:
After that I decided to play around and tried repeating these motifs and the sketches I did previously:
After creating the patterns I overlayed my characters on top to see how they would look and adjusted the opacity of the accompanying backgrounds.
I ended up liking the result a lot and will continue to explore more ways to compose it into the given banner size to see the transitions between characters.