2D_Assignment02_POV_FINAL

Here are my final works, photographed after the presentation:

1

The reason why I have this composition of a child in the tree is because I feel that papers are originally from trees. A tree can be made into many papers. These thin layers of sheets simply represent the skins of a tree that was sliced away for our human use. The child was placed right in the center occupying a majority space is because I want to portray the feel and need to understand that the tree is no different from us, humans. They have a life of their own too. The devastated look on the child’s face greatly brings out the exact same feeling of the tree when it was being cut down for the production of paper.

2

What makes a beautiful artwork? Of course, it’s right after an artist has painted, coloured, sketched on a paper or with a some sort similar medium. Likewise, money with the printings on it, will just be another piece of blank paper. Many of us see tattoos in a very taboo manner. Some link it to gangerism, some to art and some for memorial sake. But, in this case, for money, tattoo gave meaning and value to it. Hence, to me it is another way of looking at tattoo instead of the stereotypical way of looking at it. I want to enhance the overall feel to it by added a layer of green tint. Done similarly like the 90s Hong Kong gangster movies.

3

‘A painter, aggressively stroking his brush on the canvas. Creating dramatic colours and elements on it.’ is what came to my mind when I thought of this idea. The brush in the picture represent how aggressive the brush was treated and hence, the end state. Where else the colours splattered on the floor represent the blood of the brush or what the brush has created. The colours of this image was inspired by Andy Warhol. As I feel that it brings out the feel that I wanted. I positioned the ‘keep-out’ banner in this manner leaving an amount of space at the bottom-right portion. This is to push the attention of the eyes to the brush instead of letting it roam aimlessly at the image.

4

It is always the rock that punches and paper that grabs or wraps. But this time round, I made the paper punched a rock instead. The head of the golem is position at the right-top portion of the image which hits the golden ratio for positioning. Not making everything flat and dull due to the black and white, I added blue auras to the arm to show that it is powerful and the red to the eyes of the golem to show it’s evilness. There is a saying, ‘good always defeat the evil’ hence from the picture we all know that the paper gave a strong punched to the golem and will definitely win the fight. I use paper texture for the background to show the territorial domination of the paper.

5

The shoe is positioned at the golden ratio where it hits the top-right portion of the picture. To me, a pencil can ‘dance’ or ‘skate’ gracefully and elegantly depending on the control of the user. Whenever, I am writing an essay or sort, the pencil keeps skating on the paper until I am finished. Hence, doing a direct illustration of writing/drawing with a pencil is actually ice-skating, I did this image. Replacing the blade from the shoe and replaced it with colour pencils instead of the normal ones. As an artist I always hope that my work will always be beautiful and nice to look at. Be it a normal essay or a sketch in my drawing class. Hence,  I used colour pencils to amplify what I want to portray.

6

Many of us experienced this irritated feeling where a sweet wrapper got stuck onto the bottom of the shoe. It does not need to be many of them being stuck at once, a single piece is enough to irritate the hell out of you. Hence, Shirley advised me to choose this golden and interesting spot to stick the wrapper as this creates a single focal point where the eyes will go to directly. The initial idea of using many wrappers to show the irritation was scraped after being explained by Shirley that one single piece will be enough to express what I needed to. Hence, this is what I came out with.

7

Thank you!

Thank you Shirley for your assistance and patient guidance. I enjoy attending your lessons and doing works given by you. They are always fun and interesting.

Will be looking forward to the last assignment. 🙂