– FINAL! –
Initial sketches (translation)
I did a number of sketches of random ideas and concepts. Some were a bit far fetched, but good for exploration anyway. A lot of the elements surround brushes and paint. All the sketches go accordingly to what the mood board theme has.
My classmates giving me their feed back which I did apply to my logo in the end. So, thank you classmates!!
Below are further sketches after taking into consideration what my classmates said and suggested.
Initial digitised b/w draft
From my initial sketches, I had 2 ideas, one with the mountain, and the other with the lightbulb.
Idea 1: Mountain & Hand (chosen)
My concept with the mountain was to have it symbolise going on an adventure. Meaning to say that the “Art-on-the-Move” programme was a fun and exciting adventure for the patients. The hand reaching out with the paintbrush is to symbolise the “art” and “creativity” side of the programme. The hand is also seen to be “planting” the paintbrush into the peak of the mountain. This is to symbolise an “achievement” made. It’s just like the planting of the flag by people who have successfully scaled a mountain. Likewise, its to show achievements made by the patients through the Art-on-the-Move programme. When i developed this concept, I kept thinking of the patients who were bed-ridden and how the volunteers are there to give them there extra hope and a good environment to recover and recuperate.
Idea 2: Lightbulb & Hand
My 2nd concept with the lightbulb is a little bit more direct. The light bulb is the symbol of invention and sometimes of intelligence. It is also a symbol of light and connections. So I wanted to bring in that concept into my logo, where the idea of the patients can shine bright through the art that they produce and create through the Art-on-the-Move programme. It is a logo that is more for making the volunteers feel good that they are helping the patients through the programme and are actually making the difference.
My experimentation after consultation for my initial draft.
Changes that had to be made:
1. The mountain cap, make it less bloody looking, have a more natural look
2. Add on the lines to the brush to make it look like its shining bright. Adds focus to the brush.
Above is the final traced out version of the logo with the edits. Now on to the colours.
Colour tests (exploration)
i experimented with a lot of different colour schemes because i just couldn’t seem to get it right. Or to at least get out something that i liked and felt that it related back to my target audience.
Font studies (exploration)
Font wise, i tried using fonts that I found online to see if they suited. I found one that was close, but I was getting quite annoyed with it so I decided it was probably not the best option. Below are various variations I was trying very hard to adjust and change.
In the end, I decided that I wanted to break away from the lines and the rigidity of the text, so i decided to hand draw the words Art-on-the-Move.
So this was how i derived at my final logo design:
(do note the ones with the clouds are just an alternative design for the badge. the final one i’ve chosen is the design for a logo, not a badge)