Pandora’s Box 2, Journey towards submission


In this lesson, I learned about different techniques for connecting blocks of different volumes. These techniques include wedging and piercing. These techniques enabled us to be more Creative with our objects and it also adds more depth and dimension to our models.

Wedging is the process of creating grooves to interlock 2 different objects.

Piercing is simply creating a hole through a larger object to insert a smaller one, ensuring that enough of the block is shown, relative to its thickness.

Cradling is the placement of an object inbetween 2 objects. Often, the SO. We have to forsee that the SO may be ‘eaten’ up by the other 2 blocks cradling it.

Another interesting principle we learned was the Gestalt Principle, where the sum of its whole is greater that its parts. This gives the illusion of the object being bigger that it actually is.

We were told to explore different materials for our assignment models. I updated my models to Ensure that the D, SD and SO are distinct and of different volumes. I explored the methods of wedging and piercing in my models as well.

I re-did all of my models, these are the results.

For object 1, I wanted to use a very large but thin base as the dominant as Cheryl (Our lecturer) pointed out that it is not always about the size, but more of the presence the object has. This changed my approach towards the model.

As you can see, the SD is placed a third into the D, utilizing the rule of thirds. I wanted the SO to be protruding further out from the D so that it would be visible from the bottom of the figure. However, this misdirects the viewer as they may assume that the SO would be the SD from the top view which is the second figure.

For my second model, i reused the SD (Blue block) from model one to form the D in model 2 as I wanted to have the theme of re-usability and interchangeability. As you can see, the for this model i followed closely to the rule of thirds which resulted in my object looking symmetrical. I had to make adjustments to the SO as it was confusing with the SD in a front view. This model looks somewhat similar to an army tank or an elephant, especially with the long nozzle.


I experimented with using large blocks in my third model as well to come up with a concept similar to model 1. Initially, i wanted to use the same D as I would for model 1 and 3, however i needed to pierce the piece of foam, which would look unsightly and ‘unfinished’ in model 3. For this model, I wedged the SD on top of the D and i created a small insertion on the SD to fit the SO snugly, all while following the rule of thirds.

Leave a Reply