Do we really have “collective unconscious” aesthetics taste? I disagree. The design is influenced by trends, cultures, time, environments and one’s memories and experiences. We could have a majority vote on a particular design form but there will always be the minority that goes against the trend. There are many designs out in the market for a reason. Do chairs have to be L-shaped with 4 sticks? Bean bags also make the cut. I think designers challenge the norm and break the archetypes. Some were a success and some flopped. However, failures do not mean it is a bad embodiment. Maybe the society is not ready for the “evince”?
This article points out the little things in life that we have taken for granted or ignore because it exists in our daily cycle and cultural environment. It challenges our perception and observation. Is everything appears as it seems or informs? How could we better understand the trivial things around us?
By questioning, it brings us deeper and closer to uncover the “true scandal”. “What is scandalous isn’t the pit explosion, it’s working in coal mines.” Although the article started with negative notes, it highlighted the numerous accidents and exclaimed that we only become aware because of these unfortunate events. However, is it really that case? The accidents are mostly man driven. We could potentially be part of the statistics in the media if we are not aware of the danger. This doesn’t mean we are immune to daily things, but we do question them less. The skills to discern and question the seemingly negligible objects or lifestyle habits is useful in understanding human/ consumer behavior.
Clara and I discuss more on our project from the feedback on our presentation.
“Without great solitude no serious work is possible.” —Pablo Picasso
- Solitude connected to serendipity
In The Art of Thought by Graham Wallas, he attempted to define how does the creative process works. There are four stages: Preparation, Incubation, illumination and Verification. For illumination (Serendipity) to happen, there is a period of unconscious processing where thoughts wander and random ideas coalesce. It is done mostly by blocking out external world and letting inner thoughts flow more freely.
- Different means of walking with tech – mobility vehicle, moving workstation like baby walker, wearable gadget
- Digital VR maze where it is split up into zones of different entertainment/scenes as user venture in the mobility vehicle.
- Returning back to childhood as it connected deeply into us.
- Science center field trip
Unique Take Away from Science Center Field Trip
- Central area that splits into different zones
- Retro sci-fi deco and sets, many small activity stations with buttons to press (interesting behavioural patterns as all the kids and also us were compelled to mash the buttons and see what effect they had)
- Mirror maze – infinity space
- Fun nostalgia trip for us because we haven’t been for many years, but we also noted that as kids we got very bored of the place because school took us there so often– brings up the question of what kind of installations can you place in a space without novelty wearing off?
- Interior configuration can rearrange into different routes after each round; the person navigating will not end up memorizing the route
- The walls could have different displays– what displays? Scenery? Information?
- Steppable buttons on the ground for the particular mirror to have special pop up – performance? Info?