The task for our final project is to combine the modular structure with your classmate to create a lamp.
Clara and i decided to work together. Her modular structure is based on the scales of a butterfly wing. The characteristics of her SEM structure are organic and irregular. She created it using string woven together to form a mesh of the SEM model. My modular structure is based on Spumullarian. Some of its main characteristics are uniform conical pores and double spherical layers. I created it using jumping clay.
You can view my work process here: Radiolarian
Clara’s SEM structure My SEM structure
We brainstormed on how to combine the unique characteristics of them. The design we eventually decided upon is to incorporate the double spherical layers from my structure. With the outer layer in an uniform conical pattern and the inner layer is made up of irregular pattern. There will be multiple of such spheres joining together creating like a cluster of tadpole eggs as Clara said. Basically the top portion will be more defined and spherical and gradually melt downwards to an organic form. This is how we combine out SEM structure from a uniform shape melt down to irregularity.
My SEM model was created using jumping clay. However it would not work for this large lamp that we are creating. I was searching through the internet for some inspiration and chanced upon this artist.
Tara Donovan’s installation artwork used plastic cups to form blob like shapes. It looked pretty similar to the image we plan to create for our lamp. Thus i decided to use plastic cups instead for our project. For Clara’s inner sphere, we decided to adopt the same m ethology of using string to woven into a sphere shape. This time we decided to use coloured rafia string to create contrast with the transparent plastic cups.
- Outer layer
Initially we planned to stick the plastic cups together with hot glue gun but it was too hot and the cups melted. I tried using super glue but the cup ended up looking dirty as the dried superglue caused a slight milky translucent on it. It was too time-consuming to just stick a few pieces so this definitely won’t work for our large lamp. Staples are the only way to go. I thought i would be easy to do it but getting the result we wanted was a lot more work to do. I had to cut off the base of each plastic cup so that light can project through giving a clearer shadow image. I probably cut around 300 over cups with the foam cutter.
Simply stapling the cups would give you a very tight round form, which meant trouble for the more flowing parts of the structure. Clara discovered that by cutting parallel strips in the cups at the point of stapling, the tension is released and we can create a fairly malleable and flat layer of cups to form into the shape we wanted. We made the spherical units separately, following the drawing, and then connecting the pieces together somehow.
- Inner layer
Clara was in charge of making the inner sphere ball. She made it by tying paper string around a balloon, going round and weaving the form until it look okay. Then she dampened the strings and covered them in white glue, and let them dry overnight.
When we tested both forms together with the light, we realized that the interior shadow was indistinguishable from the exterior. I suggested to use cellophane to cover the units on the string spheres to create a stained glass effect and to allow the interior spheres to contribute to the shadow of the lamp.
After the whole structure of the lamp is up, the final stage is the construction of lighting. we estimated the length of each cable in each sphere. I cut out the length and wired everything up.
A difficult part is to thread all the lights and wiring into the spheres, and trying not to break something, or bust a finger through a stained glass panel (cellophane). Also lots of rearranging of the outer sphere so that it would be just right. I had to ripped out portions of the cups and re-stapling them over and over just so the outer form will look good.
Peter suggested that instead of letting the lamp hang on the wall, it could hang from the ceiling like a bunch of grapes.That way it could sways and turns slowly the shadows would also change. The wiring could also have been better hidden.
Overall, it came pretty close to what we envisioned our lamp to be. It would be even better if there’s dramatic shards of blue lighting but we still did a pretty good job.