Here are some thumbnails of the creation process. I have documented the different stages, from the start to the finish. The different sorting results were imported into Photoshop and composited together. I also made the image black and white to resolve the color differences between my source images. I also felt that the series would look more cohesive if all the final results were monochromatic.
This is a composite of the two wave images put together and sent through the pixel sorter once
I took the image from the previous step and sent it through the sorter once more. This time, I used a different algorithm to get a slightly varied result.
The result from the previous step was sorted again with another algorithm before being slightly balanced for color and brightness.
I then went back to one of the wave images and applied a sort
I applied two different algorithms to this image
I them composited the two results of the previous sort into the image that I was working on from Step 3
At this point, I also went to individual sort the images of the plants that I had taken. I did a few different sorts and picked the results I liked.
I then composited the sorted plant images onto the main composition
At this point, I was satisfied with the overall look of the composition and felt it was time to convert the image to monochrome
Due to the difference in pixel information, I knew sorting the image again would create a slightly different result. I liked the outcome of this algorithm the best and decided to use it
The final step involved me balancing the the entire image and creating contrast between elements the way I wanted.
Kapilan Naidu is a multimedia artist, designer, data-junkie, sometimes DJ and bedroom producer.
View all posts by Kapi