Thank you! (´･ᴗ･`)
Please click HERE for the video.
Sorry but idk why the hotspot is not working..
Please click HERE for the Final Process Journal.
A few weeks ago, we did a drawing session in a food court. Most of the drawings I did are people sitting or eating. Yet the most important problem I identified is that the majority of drawings I did are only incompleted, and there is a lack of background captured.
For the original drawing, the upper body is not very clearly identified and there was no lower body. Hence, for the new version, I adjusted the position of the right shoulder and hand, also, added in the pelvis and legs based on the direction of the chest. Yet the shoulder still seems like unnatural and there is still room for improvement.
For the second drawing, the original one did not really show the neck and should, and the overall figure looks very cartoonish. Hence for the improved version, I adjusted the shoulders and arms while considering foreshortening. Also, changed the head direction to create a more coherent figure.
This drawing was done earlier in this semester during a class practice session when we were given a few minutes to capture the model’s posture. I like this posture as it contains a S-shape with the rib cage and the pelvis leaning forward. This sided angle made this posture even more interesting. I am satisfied that I used lines with varies thickness to emphasize the body masses. Also, the protruded rib cage can be seen.
However, I would still like to improve on the legs as the thighs seemed to have the same volume as the claves. Also, the hands are too small, especially the right hand. It will be better if I could have drawn the hands and foot completely for review afterwards.
I selected this as it is one of the few drawings which is from the backside of the model. The posture was interesting as the hands of the model are stretching towards two different directions, on which I spend some time to figure out how to get the correct foreshortening. Besides, the pelvis block is slightly tilted forward, and I am quite satisfied that I had shown it through the curves. My favourite part of this drawing is the shape of the shoulder and the upper arm, as different masses are identified.
However, I would still like to improve on the proportion of the figure as the legs, especially the calves are too long. Besides, for the hands, the right hand, in particular, is too small compared to the whole figure.
This drawing was also done during class time when the model was sitting on the chair throughout. Amongst all the other drawings, I chose this one as it shows the depth in space and I tried to add in the people behind the model as well. I tried to show some light and shadow relationships also, although more can be seen from the chair instead of the model. In terms of the clothing, I did use different tones to show the folds and the soft texture of the shirt. While it was not very obvious on the pants as the legs were blocked by the upper body.
I would like to improve on the figure further, especially the neck, which seems very two-dimensional now. Also, the upper body looks like a massive block without showing much proportion.
This drawing was from one homework when we were asked to draw based on real people. I choose to focus on the folds of the clothing as we were taught on it during the previous lesson. I am satisfied with the emphasis on the different folds and I also had a better idea on the different forces which led to the folds during the process. Besides, I also tried to show the different textures between the soft shirt and the pants which are relative tougher.
However, I would still like to improve on the figure itself as the upper body is not identified clearly. The dark side seems like the back is bent backwards while from the front, it looks like the rib cage is leaning forward. Also, the transition between the neck and the head is not very nicely drawn as well.
This is selected from my sketchbook as well and it’s captured which the character was walking. For this I also focus on the clothing. I am quite satisfied with the general proportion of the figure as it looks generally natural. Besides, I also added in tonal designs to create depth.
However, there can still be improvement such as the proportion of the head and the shoulder, also, the foot seems relatively small.
Please click HERE to view the document for process 3 (≖ᴗ≖)✧
Please click HERE to view the document for process 2 (≖ᴗ≖)✧
Please click HERE to view the document for process 1 (≖ᴗ≖)✧
Although the way to get high is tough, the process is still enjoyable and we won’t be always falling, so don’t give up.
Game recording-> the one which I am quite familiar with and allows me to have great control over it -> able to do many things
Game recording + editing of Human Fall Flat
- Interesting game with the freedom to control actions
- Adorable character design and physics
We won’t be falling – Xueran Chen
- Aroused, like a movie score, which creates contrast with the style of the character
- The song name also create contrast with the name of the game (we won’t be falling VS. Human fall flat)
- BGM of my favourite actor’s show(Guardian, 2018) lol ❤
- Play the game & record it -> I completed all levels last year hence there was no need for me to explore it in the first place
- Choice of level
- Mountain -> relative easy and can convey the theme of falling as there are many climbings needed in this level
- Character design
- Default model -> the situation in the video can be applied to anyone
- The abstract pattern of my name on the back -> I am the one playing for now
- At first I recorded me playing several different levels, but in the end still decided to only focus on Mountains as it makes the video clearer in showing the theme
- Editing->take those representative clips, reorder them and use time-remapping to suit the music
- Linear narrative
- Start(falling)-> moving towards-> climbing & falling -> climbing -> falling -> finally succeed -> falling
- Generally low but accelerating intensity while climbing
- At first I used the full timing of the song, afterwards, I removed some repeated lyrics as I changed some of the clips from other levels.
- But still based on the song
- the audience can be anyone
- Cognitive interactivity -> let’s watch together
- Artist/Designer-centered Interactivity -> it was a recording of me playing the game
- Nominal Participation -> wish the audiences could feel relatable and reflect after watching the video
- If anyone is interested in the game maybe we can play the game together afterwards??
Thanks for reading!