2D Project 1: Lines (Process)

A line is a dot that went for a walk.

Dot is simple. Line is an extension of a dot. But what happens when emotions are implied into a dot?

Based on the Cambridge dictionary, here are the definitions of 18 emotions: 

To further explore the meaning of words, I grouped them together according to their characteristics while adding my personal descriptions. Definitions2

Draft 01

More adjectives are added during my first sketching. This helps me to recall personal experiences/objects relating to that particular emotion before transcending it into drawings.

Medium used: pencil, markers, charcoal stick
draft01draft1-mindraft2-min

Artist research

Understanding these emotions based on word descriptions had me stuck onto one pictorial design on repetition. Hence, I went back to the featured artists that we previously researched on for more inspiration.

research01-minresearch02-minHere are some artworks that stand out to me. I identified their design principles before listing down related emotions. These directed me to imply principles, like contrast and emphasis, in my next round of ideation.

Draft 02

First attempt was rather conservative with minimal medium used. Also, there were too many repetition of shapes and patterns. I decided to move away from drawing with literal meanings while injecting more imaginative lines. New medium are introduced to create textures and add in some fun to the process.

Medium used: pencils, markers, charcoal stick, chinese ink, rubber cement, milk, strings

draft02-mindraft04-min

draft3-mindraft4-min

Second attempt was more exciting and easier to generate new designs. The following emotions have allowed me to explore lines with hands-on experiments.

Psychotic – milk and heat

FullSizeRender 7FullSizeRender 6FullSizeRender 5

Turbulent – charcoal and rubber cement

IMG_7662FullSizeRender 8IMG_7665

systematic – sewing

IMG_7666IMG_7667IMG_7668

Mounting

The finalised 18 designs were mounted upon completion. I choose to present them in A3 format for its height (60mm) that allows me to work comfortably at a wider scale, with a focal point in the centre.

IMG_7582 IMG_7583 IMG_7584 IMG_7587

(see final artwork here)

Author: Lau Yi Wen

ok i'll try