Assignment 2 – Nursery Rhymes | Three Blind Mice

rhythm

How the rhythm came about?

Started this project by researching on the rhyme. The three blind mice rhyme are based in English history. Whereby, the ‘farmer’s wife’ refers to the daughter of King Henry VIII,Queen Mary I. Mary was a staunch catholic and her violent persecution of protestants led to the nickname of ‘Bloody Mary’. The reference to the ‘farmer’s wife’ in the three blind mice refers to the massive estates which she, and her husband king Philip of Spain possessed. While, the ‘the blind mice’ were 3 noblemen who adhered to the protestant faith who were convicted of plotting against the Queen. However, she did have them burnt at the stake (execute by burning)!

Inspirations –

Inspirations from Dada movement as well as some from pop art movement. Personally I’m a fan of pop art and pop art comics by Roy Lichtenstein, I love how art is conveyed using happy and parody elements and images are presented with a combination of humor, criticism and irony. Hence I decided to convey my rhythm through elements from dadaism and pop art movement to create a more comical/cartoon/pop artsy feel. – dots | lines | little details using lines

p1
Test-outs and trials.

p2
Test-outs and trials and finally, below are the four finalize frames.

Three blind mice. Three blind mice.
Three blind mice. Three blind mice.
See how they run. See how they run.
See how they run. See how they run.
They all ran after the farmer's wife,
They all ran after the farmer’s wife.
Who cut off their tails with a carving knife,
Who cut off their tails with a carving .

Author: Fiona Lim

"Deep in the meadow, under the willow..."