Typographic Portrait Final

“Hi My name is ___”

160205-02And I’M a Night owl

160205-03And I’M Lazy

160205-05

And I’M a Wanderer

160205-04

And I Don’t like to stand out

So here are the final product of my project for Typographic Portrait. The central theme of my four composition are animals, and that‘s because I find that different animals all holds very different traits and are able to give a very good representation of myself. The style I chose to represent this four piece of composition is through pixel art, reason because I am a digital artist and I find that pixel art is a very good representation of that, and I also wanted to try out different style of drawing to normal illustration that I’ve been doing.  Backgrounds are included in three of the composition as I wanted to blend the subject into the scene, something daily, and can be seen everyday, something that we don’t really notices. The background for the last composition was purposely left out to relate to myself as I have always been drawing characters and never really touched on background, and this is my first attempt doing it.

All the typography in the four composition are made to be hidden and not obvious unless with close study. This is to convey the idea that I don’t like to be noticed by people, I just want to blend in and be myself.

“Hi My name is ___”

160205-02And I’M a Night owl

In this composition, a drawing of a HDB flat is shown. Lights are up in some houses showing the life of a night owl to work at night. Some animals such as cats are hidden in this composition, to show that not only us human are awake at night but also animals. I tried to portray it as close as a neighbourhood HDB flat as possible by including various elements such as bicycle parked at void deck, plants along corridor and people hanging their laundry overnight. My initials are hidden in the lights.

160205-03And I’M Lazy

In this composition there are various jellyfish floating in the ocean. I tried to draw jellyfish that can be found on the vicinity of Singapore shore, but it didn’t come out too well. I am just as lazy like a jellyfish, I like to laze around and day dream, there’s no fixed agenda and I like to do whatever I like whenever I want, to be free from control.My initials are portrayed by the floating jellyfish, The H is slightly slanted to also show the idea of falling, lazing and melting.

160205-05

And I’M a Wanderer

The birds in this composition are common myna, a bird that can be found all around Singapore. I am just like the bird. I like to wander around, I don’t like to go where the route is fixed. I love to walk short cuts where people usually don’t, explore places where people don’t usually go. And I like to be alone, not restricted by group activities. I feel that birds are free, they are not restricted by roads and traffic, they can just go wherever they want. The background is again made to look local, with high rise building, clear skies and MRT! My initials are portrayed by the flying myna.

160205-04

And I Don’t like to stand out

This composition is composed with only three tone, and it is composed with low contrast to show that I like to be hidden and not stand out. However this composition is also the most unique out of the four, it is no longer composed of commonly found animals and things in Singapore, and there are no more background. This is because even though I am like every people living in Singapore, I also have my unique trait and I am just me, someone that is unique as myself. The animal on the left is a Malayan Tapir to portray my identity as a Malaysian. The animal on the right is a seal, to show my personality, I chose a seal because they always lie on ice to camouflage themselves and they are always lying down and lazing around. This is my favourite piece especially for the simplicity and absence of line work.

Thanks for reading! 🙂