(Imitating dramas narrators in the title.)
First stage of conceptualization!
Due to an unattended class trip for 4D, I went to visit SAM with 2D inspiration searching as another reason. Turns out there is some interesting reference worth exploring.
Based on my last research/exploration on the Internet typographers which impressed me, my initial concept for the typography portrait are:
- Subtle changes on fonts to match the content.
- Performs object typography.
- IF required, the object typography will be made of photograph collages.
The first group ideas of all the portraits varies in styles. They included
- Compositing my name with T-shirts, showing my identities as a Malaysia, who has an enjoyable memories in high school, came to NTU, getting use of uni-life. (Inspired by a piece (top) from the installation ONCE UPON THIS ISLAND)
- Using another piece (bottom) from the installation ONCE UPON THIS ISLAND, a photo with all my items of interest compositing some of my name’s letters while the rest are cropped out like the piece above.
- Arrange my downloaded movie files into my name via Window Explorer.
- Arrange clips into my name in an editing software’s timeline. Captured with screenshot.
- Collages of my name’s letter made of directional lines in Google Maps.
- Photo collages of cityscapes and school’s landscape with and without my friends.
You must be wondering, why didn’t I elaborate more?
After a consultation session with Ms. Joy, I realized (with the confirmation of Ms. Joy,) not only my concept, in terms of content, does not have a solid theme. Moreover, I exploit again on my interest in films, which Ms. Joy warned me to not exhaust the subject before I even enter my major courses. I was advised to find potentials in other traits of mine to explore, in many other ways, even in my current concepts. Such as, in what kind of lens viewers can view through? What sort of medium can I utilized rather than photos? Is it absolute to use human as the subjective?
Thus, I have new objectives to pursue for this semester, which are, try to explore other versions of me, what else can I show myself as? Try NOT to imply things that people knew about me into my work again. Give my audience a fresh new impressions.
Oh my, I have a lot to brainstorm this week. Hope I progress!